Re: UNLIMITED DATA PLANS ARE GOING AWAY COMPLETELY
rcschnoor
Legend

redhawks1 wrote:

"As they start to Migrate" does not sound optional. Sure, you have a choice to keep your current phone until it is no longer supported but eventually, you WILL have to get a new phone, thus, like I said it is a matter of WHEN, not IF. Kind of like Verizon forces you into a Family Share texting plan when you get a new phone. Oh, that's right, they don't. You still have the option to pay per line if you so choose.

0 Likes
tarheelsfan

Maybe no throttle backs but you have a cap of 5GB at Sprint

0 Likes
redhawks1
Enthusiast - Level 2

rcschnoor wrote:

redhawks1 wrote:

"As they start to Migrate" does not sound optional. Sure, you have a choice to keep your current phone until it is no longer supported but eventually, you WILL have to get a new phone, thus, like I said it is a matter of WHEN, not IF. Kind of like Verizon forces you into a Family Share texting plan when you get a new phone. Oh, that's right, they don't. You still have the option to pay per line if you so choose.

But....text messaging is an unlimited pool shared for the whole family.  There is not a cap on text messages.  You can still pay per line because they make more money that way.  For data plans, the will let you share it on your family plan...except now data is limited so there is more of a chance you will go over the limit and pay more money.

You keep using Text as a comparison but it's apples to oranges

0 Likes
AreYouKiddingMe

Horrible Horrible news If Verizon takes away my grandfathered unlimited data plan, then me my friends and family and thousands of others are going to drop Verizon. Im telling you now! ...Fran Shammo and those responsible for this choice should be fired! Verizon NO NO NO NO NO. I have a 4g phone with unlimited data and if you take it away then your gone. Verizon NO! Bad move you were winning...now you are going to lose. Time to stop the bleeding! You better undo this before your losses kill your earnings. NO NO NO NO NO

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

redhawks1 wrote:

rcschnoor wrote:

redhawks1 wrote:

But....text messaging is an unlimited pool shared for the whole family.  There is not a cap on text messages.  You can still pay per line because they make more money that way.  For data plans, the will let you share it on your family plan...except now data is limited so there is more of a chance you will go over the limit and pay more money.

I keep using it as a comparison because it shows how Verizon has implemented adding a Family Share in the past. Until they show differently, this is the only precedence we have to go on. They may implement this one differently, but they also may implement it the same way. SOME will migrate, SOME will not.

I used to only pay for texting on my daughter's line. When Verizon instituted a Family Share plan, do you know what happened? I migrated, voluntarily, not forcibly, to a Family Share Texting plan which resulted in Verizon realizing increased revenue from my Family Plan. Sounds vaguely familiar to what Verizon is saying in the links which have been posted.

This is not the exact wording, but it is approximate: "When people start to migrate, they will be forced to change to the Family Plan which will result in increased revenue." WOW! Just like what happened with my Family Share Plan and texting. No wonder I use it as a comparison!

0 Likes
Delirious17
Enthusiast - Level 1

No unlimited, no Verizon.

Only reason I stick with it.

DroidudeAZ
Contributor - Level 2

I'm up at the end of the year and unless Verizon has some compelling data sharing plans, I'll be seeing what Sprint has to offer. No unlimited, no Verizon.

PJNC284
Master - Level 2

rcschnoor wrote:

redhawks1 wrote:

rcschnoor wrote:

redhawks1 wrote:

I keep using it as a comparison because it shows how Verizon has implemented adding a Family Share in the past. Until they show differently, this is the only precedence we have to go on. They may implement this one differently, but they also may implement it the same way. SOME will migrate, SOME will not.

I used to only pay for texting on my daughter's line. When Verizon instituted a Family Share plan, do you know what happened? I migrated, voluntarily, not forcibly, to a Family Share Texting plan which resulted in Verizon realizing increased revenue from my Family Plan. Sounds vaguely familiar to what Verizon is saying in the links which have been posted.

This is not the exact wording, but it is approximate: "When people start to migrate, they will be forced to change to the Family Plan which will result in increased revenue." WOW! Just like what happened with my Family Share Plan and texting. No wonder I use it as a comparison!

I think you're reading something different than the rest of us.  Below is exactly what Fran said.

"LTE is our anchor point for data share. So as you come through an upgrade cycle and you upgrade in the future, you will have to go onto a data share plan. And moving away from, if you will, the unlimited world and moving everyone into a tiered structure/data share type plan.

So when you think about our 3G base, a lot of our 3G base is unlimited. As they start migrating to 4G they will have to come off of unlimited and go into the data share plan. And that’s beneficial for us for many reason, obviously."

Sure sounds like people on family plans will be forced into a tiered structure.  Question is what about those not on a family plan?  What about those who already have 4G devices? Are family plans going to require family share?  I think he was intentionally vague as the plans still aren't finalized which leaves a lot of questions unanswered but unlimited data will likely be a thing of the past way sooner than we'd like. 

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

PJNC284 wrote:

Sure sounds like people on family plans will be forced into a tiered structure.  Question is what about those not on a family plan?  What about those who already have 4G devices? Are family plans going to require family share?  I think he was intentionally vague as the plans still aren't finalized which leaves a lot of questions unanswered but unlimited data will likely be a thing of the past way sooner than we'd like. 

exactly. they keep it vague because i would almost guarantee that they don't have a strict policy laid out yet. my best guess is that we'll keep it until we buy a new device at a subsidized price (new contract). "if" that ends up being the case, then i'll just keep buying devices off of ebay or somewhere......or even full retail. if they do take it away completely then i'll have to wait and see what the tiered plans are as it may not even really affect me (i have access to wifi about 90% of my day). i'm not a fan of this at all, but the fact is that people with family plans have been begging for this for a long time. 4 or 5 smart phones on one plan with verizon is insanely expensive. if they offer a 3-5 gb shared tier for around $60-80 then it would beat $120 or $150 for 4 or 5 data plans on one plan. it's going to hurt the individual with one smartphone and benefit the shared plans with 3 or more......that's my guess anyhow.

PJNC284
Master - Level 2

They're going to need to do some hard tweaking on the share plans if they want to avoid a huge cluster.  Not too optimistic.  They have two routes: 1) a static amount that is tied to the primary line and used by up to 4 additional lines with the normal $9.99 add-a-line fee or 2) a base amount with each additional line having a fee but also adding more data to the pool (i.e. $30 for 2GB on the primary line and $20 per line including an additional 2GB for pool use).  Would you pay ~$100 for 10GB shared on 3 lines for method 1 or $70 for 6GB with 3 lines for method 2?

0 Likes