Re: UNLIMITED DATA PLANS ARE GOING AWAY COMPLETELY
Toyota4x4van
Contributor - Level 3

$100 NE2 gets reduced to $50 NE2.  Then $50 NE2 goes away.  Then unlimited data for new contracts goes away.  Then grandfathered unlimited data users start getting throttled.  Then $30 upgrade fee is added.  Then unlimited data users are FORCED into tiered data plans.  They even TRY to charge us extra for paying our bills!  Wow, there is absolutely no denying the path/pattern that Verizon has chosen.  What made them #1 is no longer part of their business plan; customers are nothing more than fodder to them now, to be used, abused, and taken advantage of, to be squeezed of every dime possible, in spite of ongoing record profits.  Any other claimed "justification" is simply camouflage.  Now that that they are the biggest man on campus, they have no intention of "playing nice".

I've been a Verizon customer, and hardcore supporter, for nearly 20 years; 2 plans (1 individual, 1 family), 5 lines, 4 smartphones, 1 feature phone, 3 unlimited data plans, one 2GB data plan, one 75MB data plan...It's over.  I will not be upgrading/renewing my contracts.  I just figured out that, on a conservative estimate, I've paid Verizon at least $40,000 over the past 20 years!  And this is how they show appreciation for that.  AT&T has great service in my area, they will be getting my $350+ per month that I currently pay for all those lines.

rcschnoor
Legend

I think people are reading a lot more into this than there actually is.

People have been asking for years for a Family Share Data Plan. Verizon has announced plans to offer one and now they are getting slammed for it.

Why don't you wait and see how it works out first. It would be my guess if you are on an individual plan, you will be able to keep your unlimited data since you have no one with whom to share the data. If you are on a Family Plan and want to add a Family Data Plan, of course you are going to have to give up your unlimited data as it is not being offered anymore. How are you going to have a Family Share Data Plan with some phones on a plan having unlimited data and some phones not? They will all have to switch to a plan currently being offered which are the tiered plans. Don't want the Family Plan, then you may be able to continue paying separately for data on each line, but you will lose your argument that Verizon does not offer shared data, an option which countless subscribers have been asking to get for quite awhile.

Family Plan owners have been asking for shared data plans for quite awhile. I have always had the opinion that you just may get what you are asking, but it may not be what you want. Don't expect Verizon to lose out on the deal. You may have "some" savings over the $150 minimum that 5 lines on a Family Plan would pay for data on each individual line, but it probably wouldn't even drop it to $100.

It seems that now that Family Share data is on the horizon, people are more mad than when they were paying separately for each line!

TMS07
Enthusiast - Level 1

For everyone that is having problems with your wireless provider there is an option that many do not know exist.  If you are having problems getting your issues solved you can file a formal complaint with the FCC.   They have a form you can fill out on line which will allow you to use the FCC to investigate your complaint.  This complaint form is something all wireless providers cringe at the thought of dealing with.  I used it when I was slammed during the merger with Altel and VZ.  It was the first time I was ever given the opportunity to talk to someone in the industry at a higher level than the supervisor.  I talked to a VP and when I explained the problem he made it right.  This option is there but not something that most people even know about.  If you feel you are being handled poorly with any issue and do not get it resolved in a fair manor I would not hesitate to use this route of problem solving again becaues it works.  The way I figure it I will stay with 3G and as more people move to LTE my service will become better.  When they force me to change I believe that this issue will be a mute issue because the investment will be already paid for and they will be forced into offering better plans to compete with competition.  As M said in Karake Kid   "patience grass hopper"   here is the link.

http://www.fcc.gov/complaints

redhawks1
Enthusiast - Level 2

but there is a catch.....if 2 people who now pay 30 each for unlimited now are forced to either pay 30 a month for 2gb and risk going over the limit and pay out the wazoo, or bump up to the Hundred dollar plan to be safe....either way, you are paying more than the 60 bucks you paid when you had seperate plans.  Verizon is not giving you a deal.

Here are direct quotes from Fran Shammo, CFO:

"As they start to migrate they'll have to come off unlimited and go to the shared data plan," said Shammo who told analysts that he expects the shared plans would boost revenue for Verizon Wireless over time.

"We're fairly confident we'll start to see people uptick in the tiers, which is where we'll see the revenue accretion." Shammo said in a webcast of an investor conference.

Source:  http://news.yahoo.com/verizon-sees-revenue-increase-shared-plans-190235445--finance.html

0 Likes
jackooo
Enthusiast - Level 2

Netflix thought that two.

Toyota4x4van
Contributor - Level 3

rcschnoor wrote:

It would be my guess if you are on an individual plan, you will be able to keep your unlimited data since you have no one with whom to share the data.

Your "guess" is wrong.  Why guess when the information is already out there?  Verizon has made it clear that all unlimited data plans are going away, not just on family plans.

While I agree that shared family data plans might be cheaper for some depending on their actual use, the reality is that many of us are losing, since our data will be capped. 

On my individual plan, I have unlimited data for $30, and currently average about 2.5GB per month.  Is a tiered plan for that level going to be cheaper?  No way, and it will be limited besides.  On my family plan, I currently pay $100 for data; 2 unlimited (each uses about 2.5GB), one 2GB (uses about 1GB), one 75MB (uses none; data plan was forced on the line because it is a "feature" phone, more bull****).  So no matter what the "configuration" of a shared data plan, I will be losing, since those first 2 lines will no longer have unlimmited data.  Out of the 4 lines on my family plan, we average about 6 GB per month total.  What do you really think that Verizon's shared tiered data plans are going to look like?  Will it be a savings for me?  Based on Verizon's actions over the past 2 years, I would bet against that.

SFStarstuff
Enthusiast - Level 2

Y'know, I bet if each person reading this forum were to call Verizon today to tell them how unhappy we are -- and if we were to all go inside a Verizon store, if we happen to pass by one in the next several days, and convey to the clerks there how unhappy we are -- they might just possibly get the message. 

budone
Legend

Nah, they won't. I see VZW posted a note on their news board...... Love how it is because it is what customers want! Without a word about dumping unlimited plans

http://news.verizonwireless.com/news/2012/05/data-pricing.html

Toyota4x4van
Contributor - Level 3

SFStarstuff wrote:

Y'know, I bet if each person reading this forum were to call Verizon today to tell them how unhappy we are -- and if we were to all go inside a Verizon store, if we happen to pass by one in the next several days, and convey to the clerks there how unhappy we are -- they might just possibly get the message. 

Verizon is now the biggest bully on the playground...they don't care if we're happy anymore.

rcschnoor
Legend

redhawks1 wrote:

but there is a catch.....if 2 people who now pay 30 each for unlimited now are forced to either pay 30 a month for 2gb and risk going over the limit and pay out the wazoo, or bump up to the Hundred dollar plan to be safe....either way, you are paying more than the 60 bucks you paid when you had seperate plans.  Verizon is not giving you a deal.

Here are direct quotes from Fran Shammo, CFO:

"As they start to migrate they'll have to come off unlimited and go to the shared data plan," said Shammo who told analysts that he expects the shared plans would boost revenue for Verizon Wireless over time. As I said, if you "choose" to migrate to a shared data plan, you would have to come off the unlimited data plan. He does not say "As we force them to migrate..." He does not say "As their contracts expire and we force them to migrate..."

"We're fairly confident we'll start to see people uptick in the tiers, which is where we'll see the revenue accretion." Shammo said in a webcast of an investor conference. If people were being "forced to migrate", which is not what has been said, they wouldn't be "fairly confident", they would be "certain". I still say "wait and see".

Source:  http://news.yahoo.com/verizon-sees-revenue-increase-shared-plans-190235445--finance.html

0 Likes