U.S. carriers agree to new cellphone 'unlocking' policy
LTE-Advanced
Enthusiast - Level 1

Now that...

Fri Dec 13 00:10:43 UTC 2013

(Reuters) - Major U.S. wireless carriers on Thursday, pledged to make it easier for consumers to "unlock" their mobile phones for use on competitors' networks, responding to pressure from consumer groups and the top U.S. communications regulator.

Verizon Wireless, AT&T Inc, Sprint Corp, T-Mobile US and U.S. Cellular agreed to "clear notify" customer when their devices are eligible for unlocking and to process unlocking requests within two business days, said wireless industry group CTIA.

...How do we proactively request that our device be unlocked?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: U.S. carriers agree to new cellphone 'unlocking' policy
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The bootloader unlock is a completely different issue from the SIM unlock policy that the cell carriers agreed to and what you are referencing in the original post.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

"Verizon is the only carrier whose phones generally come unlocked at the beginning of a contract. The company is bound to do so through an earlier deal it had struck with the FCC."

Wireless carriers, FCC agree on 'unlocking' cellphones | Reuters

shoe2555
Enthusiast - Level 1

Why no answer yet?  Unlock my phone Verizon.... Its mine.  Thanks

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for reaching out to us about your phone LTE-Advanced. If you have an active account with us and your device is currently listed, we can help with use of your phone internationally. Where you are trying to use your phone? Here is information about our global plans http://vz.to/17KseUf .

KinquanaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

Not applicable

They don't want your global plan. They want the carrier unlock code for their device. Not another high price service from Verizon Wireless. Please read the original posters whole post. Thank you

Tidbits
Legend

If they read it themselves they'd know the answer. There are two key words. Eligible and easier. Not that they would unlock the device, and they don't have to so it retroactively.

0 Likes
LTE-Advanced
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am not trying to use the phone internationally.  I only want to unlock the Verizon bootloader.  This would also allow me to move to another carrier, if I should so choose.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The bootloader unlock is a completely different issue from the SIM unlock policy that the cell carriers agreed to and what you are referencing in the original post.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

repeal
Enthusiast - Level 1

Dish did this, I left Dish 9 years ago, never went back. Don't miss them.

If the object you buy is not usable by you, it is not your object. If a business puts up too much of an obstacle to leaving, I never return. In the next few weeks I am going to request a real unlocking, an unlocking that allows me to use my phone on a different US carrier. Verizon has agreed to this with the FCC, then reneged. New legislation may pass in the next few days and Verizon will undoubtedly seek to wiggle out of their obligation. Just as every upgrade I've had to fight to keep my unlimited plan.

0 Likes
repeal
Enthusiast - Level 1
0 Likes