Trouble using Droid Mini in Mainland China despite purchase of global data services and wifi
Jwicz1

I'm trying to use my new Droid mini from mainland China (Shanghai), and have been running into several problems when doing so....:

1.  Whenever I try to sign in to either Google Chrome or the Google Play app store, a message pops up that says the following:

Couldn't Sign In.  You typed an incorrect password or your account has changed.  Re-type your password.  If you forgot your password and need to recover your account click "here." 

When I try to click 'here,' the same Couldn't Sign In message just pops up again.  (I never tried to sign into anything in the first place.)  This problem means that I cannot access the internet, nor make any changes to any of the apps on the phone.

2.  Certain apps only perform very spottily.  There are often long delays in sending or receiving messages via Skype--(I just checked my Skype account on my computer, and was surprised to find that there were several messages that were sent to me over Skype, but which took over 12 hours to ever appear on the Skype app on my phone--despite the phone being on, connected to Wifi, and global 4G access we just purchased. 

WeChat similarly seems to have stopped working, more or less--a bit of a hassle, since teachers here have asked to keep in touch via this method.  Whenever I try to send out any message or add any new contact, I get a message that says "Server access failure, 1, -10087."  Normally I'd try to remove and then reinstall the app, but because of #1 above, I cannot access the app store.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Trouble using Droid Mini in Mainland China despite purchase of global data services and wifi
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know it's important to have working service when travelling overseas Jwicz1. I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties. Do you have an active account with us in the U.S.?

JonathanK_VZW
VZWSupport
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: Trouble using Droid Mini in Mainland China despite purchase of global data services and wifi
Jwicz1

Hi Jonathan,

Yes, I have an active account in the U.S.  My wife and I are on a family plan.  It's especially frustrating because I visited the Verizon store to specifically seek out a phone that would work in China, and the sales associate assured me the Droid Mini would be compatible.

Thanks,

Jwicz1

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Jwicz1,

We want to make sure you can use that phone when you're so far from home! Our Global Department would be able to assist you with this. Please use our Virtual Calling Card http://vz.to/J2vhyf to reach out to them toll-free from any landline.

SarahO_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Max022704

I traveled to the UK in October, 2014. I purchased a global service plan prior to my departure. Upon arrival, I realized it wasn't working. The catch-22 of course was that I could not call Verizon global services to complain. Halfway through the trip, I used a friend's iPhone. I still do not understand precisely what the problem was however I handed over $20 more in order to have service. I returned home to learn that I had been charged roughly $800 for data use. The global plan apparently only applied to phone calls and texts and not data. As an example of how outrageous the bill was, I was able to ascertain that from October 26th to October 28th, I was charged $558. Ten hours of those two days were spent on an airplane with my phone turned off. The Verizon rep with whom I spoke yesterday was almost useless. He reduced the $558 by 25% and suggested I use a pre-paid phone card in the future. What a bunch of crooks!. I plan to put the word out as much as possible.

0 Likes