Re: This is like watching an episode of Lost when you've only watched it once before...
kenyu73
Contributor - Level 3

Just curious, but when you lose a call, do you look at your signal bars? Generally speaking, whenever I've lost calls, I look and I have zero bars... if it does go to "zero" bars, are you in an area where you typically get 0-1 bars anyhow?

The phone could be "resetting" it's antenna chip in the same fashion as a wireless laptop drops its WiFi out of the blue. Just a unrelated, but similar thought... haha...

If you're in a good zone, then I'd suspect a bad antenna and/or antenna chip; bring it back and get a replacement. :smileywink:

0 Likes
Re: This is like watching an episode of Lost when you've only watched it once before...
ksxox10
Contributor - Level 2

kenyu73 wrote:

Just curious, but when you lose a call, do you look at your signal bars? Generally speaking, whenever I've lost calls, I look and I have zero bars... if it does go to "zero" bars, are you in an area where you typically get 0-1 bars anyhow?

The phone could be "resetting" it's antenna chip in the same fashion as a wireless laptop drops its WiFi out of the blue. Just a unrelated, but similar thought... haha...

If you're in a good zone, then I'd suspect a bad antenna and/or antenna chip; bring it back and get a replacement. :smileywink:

No, my signal strength is great. It has to do with the proximity sensor. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It is random. Therfore it is extremely difficult to replicate in the Verizon store. All of a sudden the person on the other line can't hear me. I can hear them perfectly. When I look down at my phone I can see it displaying numbers. This means that the keypad has all of a sudden popped back up and now numbers are being inadvertently pushed. Again, this is random, does not always occur. There are numerous threads from numerous people on many forums about this very same issue.

I appreciate your attempt at helping, though. .

0 Likes
skh

There seems to be alot of people with this problem. My wife and I both have droids and hers does the same thing. Mine never has. We are going to exchange it for another one and see what happens.

0 Likes
GreySeal
Enthusiast - Level 3

ksxox10 wrote:

GreySeal,

I understand where you are coming from. Let me assure you that I didn't intend on being in this position. I bought my Droid the very first day it was available back in early November. After a few days, I began to see a pattern of bad behavior by my Droid. I went to Verizon and exchanged it for a brand new Droid. At the time the phone was so new to the market and I had no reason to suspect that this was perhaps a bug and not just a bad handset. So, i got a shiny brand new Droid. Much to my displeasure, the same thing began to happen. Unable to complete some phonecalls due to a mysterious muting problem. Now I am worried because I am thinking what are the chances of receiving 2 faulty handsets. I went back to Verizon and was told that there was a patch coming out on December 11th that would rectify my issue and that I should hang in there until then. This is exactly what I did. December 11th patch came, but it did not fix my problem. I went back to Verizon, and guess what they said? They told me that they were sorry but my 30 days to return the phone had expired.

So, here we are now. I have a phone that I love except for the fact that I can't always finish a telephone conversation. I guess I am lucky in that I do far more texting and emailing on my phone than talking. It is still a bother though as you can imagine.

Just thought I would share my experience with you.

ksxox10,

First, thanks for not taking my post the wrong way Smiley Happy

I feel for you, buddy.  I would be seriously PO'd were I in your position.  Even at this late date, maybe you can get someone at Verizon to do right by you.  FWIW, I have had much better luck dealing with #611, and getting a friendly service person to sympathize with me, put a note on the account, and get satisfaction that way.  Sometimes the salespeople in the stores are not as cooperative.  (although I have to admit, the store nearest me has pretty good people)

My first Droid, bought the third day of release, worked great for 2 months, then died a horrible death by going completely bonkers on me.  The screen became unusable, calling up programs on it's own, ignoring my touches completely.  I had it replaced thru the mail, and the second (and current) one has been fine.

If I were you, I would get another replacement thru the service line (#611).  Maybe you will get a good one at last.  It's worth the effort, because when the Droid does work right, it's a great load of fun to use.

Good luck,

Don

0 Likes
SFroomkin
Contributor - Level 1

"And if we don't keep bringing up the fact that many users are having unacceptable phone use, then Verizon/Motorola will think that it is in fact acceptable when in reality it is not.  Reality vs unreality is what is relevant."

While this may be true, your choice of a place to vent is incorrect.  This is a peer-to-peer message board.  If you have a complaint regarding your Droid, contact Verizon or Motorola directly.

0 Likes
colfrmb

You are correct, this is a forum for peers.  And I love it for that reason.  I have also sent inquiries/questions to Verizon and Motorola and nobody has responded back with quantitative information.  So I hope that somebody on here will happen upon some tweak or even a use technique that makes all this work...better. 

Regarding the carrier, Verizon, I have always had good success in the past with them.  I live in an area where Verizon works better than any other carrier.  I switched from ATT because of how the Verizon coverage outshines ATT here.  I was living with an old flip phone for years with no calling issues whatsoever so I decided to step up and get a smart phone and my life has not been the same since primarily because my calls are aborted constantly.  I split my week between two different locations 200 miles apart.  Both were great for my flip and everybody else who came to visit.  Now my Droid is a problem child in both places - for calls and nothing else.  I love the rest of it.  That is why I keep sticking it out.  I really want this phone to work. 

All this uncertainty about fixes has made this a stressful situation.  My phone is from January so I'm way out of the 30 day trial period.  Now I will need to return it for a refurbished phone (and maybe they couldn't recreate the issues that sent it back to the shop either) and I will have to pay the trade-in fee or whatever you call it.  That doesn't seem right to me.  This phone just got more expensive.  I don't think I can switch to another phone without paying full price.  NOOOOO.

I really enjoy this forum.  I love hearing about little secrets people discover or about new apps.  I love to hear about the future of Verizon phones and new technology.  I am so grateful that the forum managers let the threads deviate occasionally and it still remains fairly relevant.  This is a hot spot of information.  I appreciate everybody on here who takes the time to interact with everybody else.  Really, this a great thing and I hope it will benefit Verizon and the evolution of the technology.  Thanks.

0 Likes
mgrunk

Mine is doing the same thing - the display comes on unless I have the phone plastered to my head - if I tilt it just a little, the screen comes on and I can inadvertantly press buttons (especially the mute or start making a 3 way call). It's very frustrating. I've had an older touch screen (HTC) that I never had an issue w/ If I turn the screen off after initiating a call, I can still tilt it and the screen comes back on. Is there no way to initiate a key lock?

0 Likes
colfrmb
I wish my problem was simply that I was fidgeting with my phone while on a call. When my phone switches to "mute", there is no mute button even on the screen to toggle. I have tried to test it by calling my house phone but I can't recreate the issue on demand. Darn it.
0 Likes