Re: Texting on HTC U11
DREWAMG
Enthusiast - Level 2

i am on the phone with tier 2 tech support right now and he can't even get access to this thread......his browser/firewall won't let him. if it wasn't for him i was about to leave verizon. him and the girl who finally got me to tier 2. rather than telling me they didnt have any sim cards in stock...and when i said just send me whatever you would give an iphone user they didnt have any of those sim cards either........and constantly having calls and chats drop out.

0 Likes
Njvrudn
Enthusiast - Level 2

I also have a u11 with the exact same issue. A handful of my friends are on Verizon and the messages come through in one big text (as they always have), but whenever someone from outside the network (like my girlfriend) texts me beyond 160 characters, it breaks it up incorrectly. paulspound described it perfectly, I just wanted to reiterate that he's not the only one and this is clearly a network issue.

paulspound
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you Njvrudn. I'm still having the issues. I've yet to get Verizon to admit it's their problem. I have to laugh because if you look at the bands open on Sprint, T-Mobile, and AT&T to the U11, just about every one is. Then I look at the bands Verizon has open to Pixel 2 and just about everyone is there too! But the U11? Only ONE band! Why?

That is the question I'd love for someone at Verizon to answer. They control the bands. Not HTC. I'd wager a years salary that if they opened all the bands to the U11 that they are allowing Pixel 2 on, the U11 would have phenomenal speeds and the texting issues would go away! But then again, Verizon is rude, mean, and doesn't care. Amazing how simple a fix, yet ego's get in the way. Reminds me of my ex! And I'm not talking about Sprint.

0 Likes
DREWAMG
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can't believe they haven't followed up here.

As I said, when I was on the phone with "tier 2" tech support, they couldn't even access this thread yet they could access other threads. My hypothesis is that Verizon doesn't let the employees access threads that haven't officially been resolved yet. This way they are in the dark with an issue like this and they can't say to a customer, "well someone else had this issue and it hasn't been resolved". Getting tier 2 on the phone only took a month.

I am very frustrated that we seem to know more about cell phones and cellular service than anyone I've talked to at Verizon. When I found this thread I was also in the process of having people send messages back to me from other providers and saw Paul had already done the legwork!

Really hope the right person sees this thread and we can get the ball rolling on a resolution. In my experience with businesses like this it's always just getting the right person's attention at the right time.

I've given up contacting Verizon because I'm tired of being told I'm eligible for an upgrade after explaining the problem in detail... They seem to miss the part where I say I JUST bought the phone. To make matters worse on day 2 it fell out of the HTC flip case and my back glass cracked. Couldn't return if I wanted to.

0 Likes
DREWAMG
Enthusiast - Level 2

This first post of mine was written after about 4 hours of customer support and I was very worked up. Looking back it is hardly legible. I remember having many things on the agenda and wanting to just call Verizon "real quick" and get a sim card shipped to me. I saw sim card suggested on another site and although it didn't sound right I figured it was worth a shot. Still unable to get one mailed to me. They can't figure out how because my phone isn't on the website. After finding this I certainly don't think it would help. Still incredibly frustrating that the only way for me to get a sim card right now is going to a physical store.

0 Likes
Njvrudn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Reviving this thread as the problem has now seemingly gotten WORSE.

No longer are the text messages being "trimmed" if they're beyond 160 characters, they're now being converted into nonsense/jargon/symbols.

Please see the screenshot below. I had my girlfriend send me one "large" message (>160 characters) and then had her break it up into smaller ones. The result is below of the big text. All the subsequent little ones came through just fine! VERIZON! WHAT are you doing?Screenshot_Big Message.jpg

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Njvrudn, we always want to ensure that any issues are fully addressed as soon as possible. This certainly isn’t the texting experience that we would want you to have with us. Let’s keep digging to help get this matter resolved once and for all. You’ve mentioned that this issue only occurs when a non-Verizon user sends a message. Do you notice if they’re using a particular make/model or operating system? Which application are you currently using on your device for messaging purposes? Does this issue occur anytime you receive a message like this or how often would you see this happens?

SamanthaT_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
MELWIL97

I have this same issue with my HTC U11.. It happens randomly and is very frustrating.. Another thing the SMS is doing is failing to send messages that are SMS but MMS send fine and the ONLY way I have found to fix it is by setting the phone back to factory reset. I have had to do this twice now.. the last one was on January 22 of this year.. And just again today, my messages are failing to send yet again. It's been less than a week. And I will NOT reset my phone to factory every week. This is ridiculous and apparently has gone on for several months. When will this issue be fixed!

0 Likes
Phxdsrtrat

I have had all these same issues with my U11.

1. Long texts being converted into gibberish or being broken into parts that are incomplete.

2. Inability to send SMS messages since the security update in late January.

3. Sending MMS messages is the only way I have to communicate via texting.  Frustrating!

4. Network speeds that vary widely.

I will not factory reset my phone every few days to regain the ability to text.

-Curtiss

0 Likes
Njvrudn
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's happening, as stated in this forum, when ANY OTHER CARRIER sends a text message in excess of 160 characters. The example above is from an iPhone 6 on AT&T network. I use Verizon's own "Message+" app to get messages, but the HTC default application does the exact same.

I've had this happen from my friends who are on the Sprint network as well. It's very annoying. The alien gibberish went away after a few instances, and now it's back to the original problem of trimming the message altogether. (Or clipping off the last 20+ characters before starting a new message as paulspound describes).

0 Likes