Texting fails unless I walk to the other side of my building or reboot my phone.
JamieRI
Enthusiast - Level 2

Voice calls are fine, and I see 2 to 3 bars reception, yet texting intermittently fails - both sending and receiving. If I reboot the phone, it all comes back and I will suddenly receive the messages waiting for me. Then a bit later it fails again. If I walk to the other side of my building it will start working after a couple of minutes.

This problem has persisted for about 3 months. From September 2013 to December, I had no issues. I now routinely see "failed" on my outbound texts and find myself walking 100 ft to the other side of my building where I will get 4-5 bars instead of 1-3 bars. It certainly seems reception related when in my office, but I can text fine at home with even 1 bar reception from my basement!  

Am using Samsung S4. Have compared network mode Global and LTE/CDMA but same result. Have tried Verizon Messanger, but it is a corporate phone and the data based messaging service is not supported on corporate phones.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Texting fails unless I walk to the other side of my building or reboot my phone.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JamieRI,

What a strange issue! I appreciate all of the information you have provided. Do others in your office experience a similar issue? When powering off, have you tried removing/reinserting your SIM: http://vz.to/1gklJs8 Please keep us posted so we can get this resolved.

AndreaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: Texting fails unless I walk to the other side of my building or reboot my phone.
JamieRI
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here is status:

• Checked with those in nearby offices - all on Verizon and all have no texting issues on their iPhones.
  • Removed and replaced SIM card following provided directions, no improvement.
  • I now have observed that it is really just an outbound text issue.  I can get many texts at my desk but can only send them from my desk if I reboot my phone... and I can only get one text per reboot. Yet, If I get up and walk across the building and resend the text, it will work without rebooting.
  • I notice that when I am at my desk, the phone bounces around between LTE, 3g, and 'mobile data disconnected'. In any of these different states, I can make phone calls and receive texts, but outbound texts are not supported.
  • I am wondering... I have installed and uninstalled a few apps over time that connect to the texting services. Is something possibly interfering? Does my phone need to be cleaned out? (factory restore?) Yet - why will it work every time if I go to the other side of my building where reception is stronger? How could some other app impact outbound texting but only when reception is poor?
  • Is there
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for keeping me posted with the troubleshooting steps you're performed so far, JamieRI!

It is possible that a previously loaded application is contributing to this problem.  To help determine this, lets test the device at your office and sending a text message with the device powered up in Safe Mode http://vz.to/R6ZwaQ.  If the problem ceases while in Safe Mode, you can either remove the culprit application http://vz.to/R6ZMqw, or you can hard reset the device http://vz.to/R6ZPT3.  If you do hard reset the device, ensure you disable the "Automatic Restore" option http://vz.to/R704xp to prevent the same culprit application from reinstalling.  Please let me know how this works out for you.  Thanks!

AnthonyTa_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
JamieRI
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK, I tried safe mode per the instructions and immediately replicated the problem using the built in messaging app - can receive messages without issue, but can't send when I am at my desk. If I walk 50 feet to the other side of the building, it works every time.  I kept it in safe mode for a while to be sure that I am right about this, it is consistent.

Last September when I got the phone, I did not have this issue. It cropped up in December or January, I am not sure.

Jamie

0 Likes
JamieRI
Enthusiast - Level 2

It happened in another building where I could receive texts but not send - "failed". Again, the mobile data network was very weak, sometimes saying 1x. Voice network was strong in this location as I could carry on a voice call without an issue.

Is there a setting in my phone that makes the sending of text require the presence of mobile data connectivity?

Is there a developer tool that will actually tell me what the SMS app is attempting to do that is failing?

0 Likes
JamieRI
Enthusiast - Level 2

This outbound texting problem persists. All inbound texts are instant, each outbound either takes 30 seconds to go out or it declares that it failed... but only in certain spots like my desk at work or my bedroom at home. Other locations it works fine. At my desk I see the phone frequently shift from 3G to 4G/lte to blank (no icon). I can make phone calls just fine in any case.

The tech at Verizon store told me to use Verizon Messaging Subscription so that messages can go over WiFi, but the app says that this feature is not supported with commercial accounts.

Should I wipe my phone and test it at factory default?  If I do that and it does not fix it, is there a way to fully restore the phone to the way it is right now from a full backup?

Jamie

0 Likes