Tethering phone/laptop
nanners313
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm sure there is a topic about this and I'm just blind and not seeing it....but..........how does one tether phone to laptop and use phone as a modem? AND, *drum roll please* how much does this cost? Is it added to my bill?? Answers please?   I sure don't want to go the 'rooting' route!

Thanks, Nancy

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Tethering phone/laptop
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are a lot factors on if you can tether your laptop to your android smartphone. I am assuming you have an android smartphone since you posted your question in the Android section.  Does your smartphone support the mobile hotspot?  Can your laptop connect to a wifi hotspot?

If those things are possible, then you need to look at your MyVerizon account.  Depending on your data plan, you can add the hotspot feature if you have an unlimited data plan.  The price and amount of data allowed will depend on if you have a 3G or 4G smartphone.  If you are on a tiered data plan, then you need to change your data plan to one that includes a mobile hotspot allowance.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Enic
Enthusiast - Level 2

I believe Verizon offers some $30 package to let you do that.

<Comment deleted per TOS>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
nanners313
Enthusiast - Level 2

OH do tell Eric? I'm all ears.. lol

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are a lot factors on if you can tether your laptop to your android smartphone. I am assuming you have an android smartphone since you posted your question in the Android section.  Does your smartphone support the mobile hotspot?  Can your laptop connect to a wifi hotspot?

If those things are possible, then you need to look at your MyVerizon account.  Depending on your data plan, you can add the hotspot feature if you have an unlimited data plan.  The price and amount of data allowed will depend on if you have a 3G or 4G smartphone.  If you are on a tiered data plan, then you need to change your data plan to one that includes a mobile hotspot allowance.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
nanners313
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have an LG Enlighten smartphone. 3G network.  I do not have an unlimited data plan. I will look at my account and see what I can do.. My laptop can connect to a wifi hotspot.

thanks for your help

Nancy.

0 Likes
leebo_08
Enthusiast - Level 1

You can download a free app from the android market that will show you realtime data usage.

0 Likes
nanners313
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for all the input everyone!! much appreciated......

0 Likes