Switch from iPhone to Android: Not receiving messages from iPhone users.
spenny

I switched from my iPhone 4S to a Moto X.  Overall I love my new phone, but a huge drawback is that iPhone users who have messaged me previously can no longer send me messages, unless they completely disable iMessaging on their phone.  I have researched several workarounds which have been partially successful.

1) Turn off iMessage on all my Apple devices.

2) Delete my phone number from the Apple Support website.

3) Call Apple Support and ask them to remove my number from their system.

Unfortunately, whenever I am in a group text that includes iPhone users, their phones seem to be categorizing my phone as an iPhone and sending iMessages instead of SMS.  Is there a way, from my end, to get iPhones to recognize my phone as a non-iPhone and send SMS messages accordingly?  Thank you in advance for your help!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Switch from iPhone to Android: Not receiving messages from iPhone users.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello spenny,

We know how important it is to stay connected, especially while on the go. I'm confident that together we can get this resolved for you once and for all. May I ask has everybody in the group message that has an iPhone erased the conversation and restarted it? If not then this may be the reason as to why the message delivery has been inconsistent. Also, are you using iMessage with another Apple device, such as an iPod or an iPad? If so then try disabling iMessage on those devices as well and retest. Let us know the results.

Thank you...

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
spenny

Hi ArnettH_VZW,

Thanks for the advice!  We tried deleting the conversation thread and retrying, but with no luck.  For some reason, my wife's iPhone sends me texts consistently both singly and in groups even though her iMessages feature is on.  Sadly, we can't figure out what she did to make that happen!

I do have an iPad and a MacBook Pro which have both previously used the iMessage feature.  I have already turned off iMessages on both devices.  Do you think I may need to disable my iCloud accounts on both devices as well?

I really appreciate your determination to get to the bottom of this!  Smiley Happy

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I truly appreciate you taking the time to provide this insight, spenny. May I ask if you still have the iPhone 4s that you were using? If so, under Settings > Messages > "Send & Receive" is your number still as an address to receive and send messages? Did your wife happen to delete the previous thread that you two were speaking in on her device? You may certainly attempt to temporarily disable the iCloud feature on those devices and then test.

YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
fforbus
Enthusiast - Level 2

My daughter has a Samsung Galaxy S3 mini that we just activated yesterday, upgraded from an iPhone 4. I have an iPhone 4s, and she was unable to receive my messages because they kept going through as iMessages, even though she no longer is using the iPhone. I chatted with customer support and was told to remove her iPhone/phone number from the apple.com profile, and to turn off iMessaging on the deactivated phone (uh, ok...?). Before she did this, I was able to send her messages from my iPhone as long as I turned off iMessaging. I tried sending them with iMessaging on, and checked the option to send as SMS if iMessaging is unavailable. That didn't work. I told her what customer support said, so she did both (removed her iPhone from the apple.com profile, and turned off iMessaging on the deactivated phone). She STILL cannot receive messages from people with iPhones. But after she did this, I was able to turn my iMessaging back on with the "send as SMS" option checked, and now she is getting my messages. Bottom line, though: she shouldn't have to tell everyone who has an iPhone to do this just in order to message with her. Verizon and Apple need to fix that problem. I don't think it has anything to do with Samsung.

Not applicable

I found this fix which doesn't require a mass messaging to all contacts..

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-keep-receiving-sms-from-iphone-users-after-making-the-swi...

0 Likes
fforbus
Enthusiast - Level 2

My daughter called apple support and was told by the robot that it would

cost $20 to talk to a human. Ridiculous. So, thanks very much for

this... I've sent this link to my daughter, with fingers crossed. Smiley Happy

Not applicable

please let us know if it works, this is a common problem.   I don't know how I managed to dodge it.  (It would be useful if I did)

0 Likes
fforbus
Enthusiast - Level 2

It worked! It worked! Thank you!

-Felicia

0 Likes
Forgotten224
Enthusiast - Level 2

The Answer is simple.. too simple.

What worked for me and may work for you also is, Send a text message to 48369 saying Stop.

They said to wait 12 - 48 hours but it started working mins after.

However, I missed and lost a lot of text messages between.

Good Luck

0 Likes