Stratosphere II keyboard not working after upgrade to Jelly Bean
indianagirl81
Enthusiast - Level 1

My Stratosphere II keyboard is not working properly after the upgrade to Jelly Bean.  I can use the letter keys just fine, but when I try to use the function key to get the symbols, nothing happens.  Has anyone else had this issue?  How did you fix it?

Labels (1)
Re: Stratosphere II keyboard not working after upgrade to Jelly Bean
CaptainPete

I am having issues with the physical keyboard on my Droid 4, try and hold the shift key and try the symbols, see if its the same problem I am having.

0 Likes
indianagirl81
Enthusiast - Level 1

I tried that and nothing happens. If I can only use the touch screen, it defeats the purpose of me having a physical keyboard. Arg.

0 Likes
jjust17
Enthusiast - Level 2

I called Verizon because I was having the same problem, among others, after the update. They told me the only way to solve it was to either reset my phone or have it replaced. I reset my phone (huge pain) and it seems to be working now. But if anyone wants a new phone....

0 Likes
Illeria

Hey just to let you know.  I also encountered this problem and spoke to a customer representative.  Factory reset fixed the problem, but here we are three days later and the same problem is happening again.  I cannot be hard reseting my phone every three days which is what Verizon is suggesting I do.

0 Likes
jjust17
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah mine is starting to do stupid things again too. I've noticed that if I set a different ringtone for an individual, it won't stick - keeps doing the default ringtone. Also, the shift key, when pressed once, will go to caps lock instead of just shift. This really sucks when I hit backspace and delete an entire row. Also, it isn't notifying me when I get a new email, even though all my settings are correct.

0 Likes
Illeria

Yeah I am seeing the same thing with the caps lock that you are and hard reset does nothing for that issue.  I wonder if this is a widespread problem affecting all Strat 2s upgraded because I think it's prolly an OS/hardware compatability problem.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

0 Likes
Cdewitt87

I had the same issue and I found a fix that worked for me.

Go to Settings -> Language and Input -> Physical Keyboard hit "sec_keypad" then the "Set keyboard type" button and uncheck all the boxes and hit back. It should just say "Default" now.  I guess setting it to a particular language breaks the functionality.

0 Likes
NintendoGuy

Your solution fixes the problem with the function keys, however it DOES NOT fix the current problem with the Shift Key. In case people missed 's post the Shift Key is causing problems. When pressed once it causes the physical keyboard to get stuck in Caps Lock mode until it is pressed again when it should just be capitalizing the next typed letter.

It's extremely annoying since now typing things like names requires the user to press (Shift B Shift o b) to write Bob instead of (Shift B o b). That is just one example.

0 Likes
uuamy

I reset the language settings like Cdewitt87 said. That fixed the Fn problem.

On another site, I read that someone just held the shift key as they pressed the letter, like you would on a computer keyboard. It is not ideal, but it works.

I will try it out for a week, just to see if the fix sticks.

0 Likes