Stratosphere II (SCH-i415) not charging after update to Jelly Bean
EricTheTall

Have two Stratosphere II (SCH-i415) phones that updated to Jelly Bean this morning.  Neither phone will charge from wall chargers or car chargers now.  Receive a message that the phones are "Not Charging" and that my charger is incompatible with my device.  Phones will charge okay when plugged into a computer.  Using the same USB cables on the computer as so the phones and cables are okay.

Was there something in the JB upgrade that prevents the Stratosphere II (SCH-i415) from using certain chargers?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Stratosphere II (SCH-i415) not charging after update to Jelly Bean
siapplebaum

I am having a very similar issue and I'm glad I'm not alone.

I'm not sure if this is specific to the Stratosphere II, or Android 4.1.2, or some weird interaction with one of the installed apps.

Ever since my phone was upgraded from Android 4.0 to 4.1 this last weekend, it has started complaining about many of the USB chargers I've historically used without problems.

I get the following pop-up screen:

"The connected charger is incompatible with this phone. To prevent damage to your phone, charging has been stopped. To continue charging, use the original charger and cable that were provided with the phone."

I'm not exactly sure whether this due to a slight change in voltage off the standard USB +5V signal, but it doesn't appear to be current related. I haven't correlated it with all of my chargers, but here's a list of various chargers with their rated output amperage and whether they induce the effect (it seems to be cable-independent):

no error:

550 mA (Motorola-branded USB adapter)

700 mA (Samsung-branded USB adapter)

765 mA (iGo green power supply for laptop, with extra USB)

3A  (Anker Astro3E portable battery)

error:

180 mA (Plantronics-branded USB adapter)

500 mA (Belken Mini Surge Protector with USB)

1 A (Bestek auto adapter with USB)

2.1 A (Bestek auto adapter with USB)

Again, it could be a voltage issue (I don't have a multimeter with me right now to measure average voltage and any "fluctuations"). But, I never had a problem before this last weekend. When the error occurs, the unit still does charge up, even though it says it is not -- but at a very slow rate.

0 Likes
danxcook

Same here. I have the SCH-I415, and I used to have the SCH-I405 original Strat. I still have the docking station. Even with the provided new cable the dock still is "incompatible". Other cables around the house that we use to charge the other android devices also does not work.

I specifically upgraded to this with the hopes of using the same accessories as my old Strat.

Verizon, What gives? Why did you make this phone with a proprietary charging cable when Android specifically requires that you use the standard micro USB charging?

0 Likes
BrianC72mg

I ran into the same problem of chargers not working, wiggle the connections, new phone, different wires, chargers, pull the battery...etc...  Finally, I just bought two long life batteries and a universal battery charger.  The charger has two movable charging pins which you align with the two outermost contacts on the battery.  I swap them out every morning and I'm good for the day.  The long life batteries usually last all day long  even with maps and gps...I also bought a fatter back cover to accommodate the fatter Samsung long life batteries.....all on Amazon.  Not too spendy, and it works.

Should I have to do this?  Absofreakingluteluely not, but I got tired of trying to exorcise the charging demons which possessed my otherwise excellent phone.

0 Likes
Larry_Lovering

I posted this on another forum too.  I tried to power off and charge, and that worked.  When it got to 100% I turned it on and it held up for most of the day.  I then tried just to plug it into the charger and it seemed to charge up, which it wasn't doing the day before.  I don't know why this worked or why the power-off-recharge worked, but try it on your Stratosphere II.

0 Likes