Storage optimization
YubbaDubba

I am trying to delete miscellaneous files to allow more storage but it does not allow me to.  Also, many of the pre-loaded apps are sucking up my storage space and I don't want them.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Storage optimization
Snn5
Legend

Which phone?  Pre-loaded:  some can be disabled, few can be uninstalled.  Which apps are in question?

0 Likes
YubbaDubba

Galaxy S5

Don't want nor need Slacker Radio, Flipboard, Verizon Tones, Amazon Kindle/Cart/Music, Hangouts.

biggest issue is "miscellaneous files - system memory" that takes up 5.46GB.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Slacker, Flipboard, Verizon Tones, Amazon Kindle/Cart can be disabled.  Hangouts (I would keep it for wifi calling if you have a Google Voice number) can be uninstalled I believe. 

System Memory is your recovery partition.  You MUST keep that.  You cant get rid of it on the usual user level anyway, but if you did, you'd have no way to restore your phone.

0 Likes
YubbaDubba

Only this week have I run out of storage space on my phone - I have uninstalled apps but have made little dent in my space.  My pics take up 2GB - I have back-up them up elsewhere but am unable to delete them.

The phone has 16GB and 12GB of it is associated with things you say I cannot delete.  The apps I use daily take up 2GB

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

What phone are you using?  Has it no external SD card?  The amount of data you cannot delete should be closer to 7-8GB.

0 Likes
YubbaDubba

Samsung Galaxy S5.  It has not had an external SD card to date, which is why I'm questioning this.  I can certainly add an SD card but that does not explain the excessive data for "undeletable"

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

You have everything on your internal memory, that's what's using all the space.  You should insert a card and move those files over.  You cannot move the apps, but that will certainly help.

biggest issue is "miscellaneous files - system memory" that takes up 5.46GB.

You cannot delete your system files.  That is your operating system.

0 Likes
YubbaDubba

So why just this week was the big jump in data stored? 

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Maybe a large download, maybe you took a video, maybe some files were synced from a cloud account.  Take a screenshot of your storage screen.  Maybe we can see something that explains.

0 Likes