Spell check and word suggestion doesn't work Droid 4
hopworks

My wife and I both have Motorola Droid 4s. I have had mine for almost a year, and she has had hers just a week. After I factory reset mine to fix a spell check problem, I noticed that the spell check still doesn't automatically fix errors, and there is no word suggestion. Her's is doing the same thing. When I looked for this issue online, I found numerous other Motorola Droid 4 owners having the same problem.

Since we text a LOT, this is certainly a major inconvenience. We would like to know if there is a fix for this issue, is it OS version and phone specific, and when an update/fix can be expected.

Thank you for your time!

Gary

Android Version 4.1.2

Let me know if there is other information I can include. Thanks again!

>>Personal information removed<<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Spell check and word suggestion doesn't work Droid 4
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

I. too, have the Droid 4. My spell check is working, so if we compare my settings to yours, and see a difference, then maybe we'll find a fix!

Go to Settings, Language and Input, and make sure there is a check mark next to Spell checker.  Then click the gear icon for Spell Check settings, (the only option mine has is the Android spell checker), and the only "option" is Look up contact names with a check next to it.  Back out to Spell check settings again, and click the globe icon for Language settings, and mine has "Use system language" checked.

Other settings (I don't know if it will affect the spell check or not) - under Keyboard I have Google Voice typing checked, physical keyboard is English (US) Android keyboard; omap4-keypad.  Auto replace, auto capitalize, and auto punctuate are also checked.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

I. too, have the Droid 4. My spell check is working, so if we compare my settings to yours, and see a difference, then maybe we'll find a fix!

Go to Settings, Language and Input, and make sure there is a check mark next to Spell checker.  Then click the gear icon for Spell Check settings, (the only option mine has is the Android spell checker), and the only "option" is Look up contact names with a check next to it.  Back out to Spell check settings again, and click the globe icon for Language settings, and mine has "Use system language" checked.

Other settings (I don't know if it will affect the spell check or not) - under Keyboard I have Google Voice typing checked, physical keyboard is English (US) Android keyboard; omap4-keypad.  Auto replace, auto capitalize, and auto punctuate are also checked.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
hopworks_systems
Enthusiast - Level 2

The settings you gave me are the same as I and my wife have set except for the keyboard and input methods. For us, android is checked but disabled (gray), moto chinese input is checked, and swype is checked but disabled and gray. Same as it was when spell check and suggestions didn't work. Now ours is working but what is really interesting is that we never changed anything since it wasn't working. We just woke up the day after posting this and it was working. Hmm. I left the moto chinese checked because why tempt fate?

Thank you for your reply and information.  That fact is, my spell check worked for a year and then suddenly it did not. My wife's didn't even out of the box, then the day after I post, ours works perfect. Coincidence? Who cares. 😃

<<Comments regarding moderation removed to comply with .  If you wish to discuss a moderator's actions or decisions, please send a Direct Message to or >>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes