Sony Xperia Z3V "cooling down" prompt
michaeljlok
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi everyone.  I have a Xperia Z3V. I hope this issue gets resolved IF it gets Lollipop but I want to make sure people know about it.  I got a replacement phone due to insurance because of a cracked screen.  The replacement works fine except on the camera it consistently shows the prompt for "your camera is too hot, let it cool down". The prompt shows up at sporadic times, even when it doesn't feel hot and occasionally the camera app will just quit. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue or if there's an easy solution.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Sony Xperia Z3V "cooling down" prompt
GC73
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've only had it happen either after taking a lot of photos back to back, and/or on an already really hot (mid 90s) day.

Hopefully,  as Autumn approaches, and cooler weather with it, you will have fewer problems. (Since apparently God only knows if/when we will get an update.)

0 Likes
jr1961
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am on my third Sony Xperia Z3v phone for this exact issue. The issue is the processor is getting to hot while taking pictures or video and it shutting down the application. The phone gets so hot, that I have to keep a towel with me so I won't get burned, or my kids get burned when they try to take a video. After many phone calls to Sony, Sony said that they no longer have software support for this phone for Verizon customers. Verizon says they do not have a software fix for this issue either. Verizon wants me to send phone number three back and replace it with phone number 4 for the same problem. Verizon will not replace it with another similar phone from another manufacturer. Sony admitted on June 15th that they have a major issue with the overheating of this phone both nationwide, and worldwide. So we the consumer are in the middle with no help from either party. I did read that Sony has released Lollipop for the Z3 phones but Verizon will not confirm if they are going to release it to their customers. I have spent hours with technical support with both companies and nothing will be done except Verizon will keep sending you phones if your phone is under warranty. There is a You Tube video on this phone showing how hot this phone gets that will amaze you. Those of us with these phone need to keep the heat on both Sony and Verizon to recall this phone before someone gets burned badly in my opinion. You can also file a complaint with the Consumer Product Safety Commission about this phone. Maybe they can do something about it. Please call and complain about this issue to both companies also.

0 Likes
vonelliott
Enthusiast - Level 3

From my research, it doesn't seem like there's any solution. My phone gets too hot to operate on a hot day in the south even while in standby in my pocket. I've taken it out of my pocket to take a picture and immediately got the overheating warnings. I cannot keep it in a case and definitely not charge it in a case for the same reason.

I would go as far as to say the camera is not usable in summer time - sometimes so hot just from ambient heat of the sun and air that the camera app won't even load much less let me take pictures. I missed out on capturing some of my son's best baseball moments this summer because of it.

When i bought the phone and tested out the 4k video, it was around 10 degrees outside in the midst of an ice storm. Did just fine. Maybe they should only sell this for use in arctic regions.

jr1961
Enthusiast - Level 3

You are not the only one with this problem. I am on my third phone from Verizon to try to fix this issue and this one is doing exactly like yours is doing. I have spent hours on the phone with Verizon and Sony to try to figure this out. The Qualcomm 810 Snapdragon processor is overheating because the Camera app is drawing so much power. If it is a 80 degree day and you try to take pictures or video (without a cover on it) it gets blistering hot. Sony admitted that it has a serious issue with this phone. Sony is supposed to have a patch out to "Throttle Down" the phone but we have not seen it as Verizon customers. Neither have we seen Lollipop which has been out quite some time for this phone. We should not have to use "Third Party" Camera applications just to use this phone. That is not what we paid for. Disappointing to me is Verizon's Technical Service. I have been as high up the chain to fix this and the best they can do is keep sending me phones or tell me to pay for another phone. This is unacceptable. One day, one of these phones glass on the back is going to crack or shatter due to the heat. (In my opinion). If that happens, I hope no one gets hurt. If Verizon does not believe this is a serious matter, just watch the You Tube video on how hot this phone gets. 

nickvolvo40

There is a known issue with the camera the normal z3 had an update to address the issue. If you have a case you can install some aluminum foil to the backside of the phone reinstall the case it will act as a heat sink and will cool the phone faster

0 Likes