Some questions about the Droid 4/ICS
KSloniger

I have two questions about the Droid 4, and the ICS update:

First, now that I have ICS on my Droid 4, I cannot figure out how to delete all my text messages at the same time. I have to delete each conversation individually, and I can have 15 or 20 conversations at a time so you can imagine how time-consuming it can be. Is there a way to delete all texts from all conversations at once?

Second, about an hour ago I left my phone in my bedroom and made a cup of coffee. Please note: THE PHONE WAS NOT WITH ME. When I came back into the bedroom, I saw that I had missed a call from work. I also had a text message FROM MYSELF that showed the phone number for my work. How is this possible, and why did I get a text with the number I missed? That has never happened before--is it some kind of new ICS missed-call-text-message notification?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Some questions about the Droid 4/ICS
DougC35
Enthusiast - Level 1

Like many of us suffering with ICS, I feel your pain.  However, for this particular issue, I have an answer that will hopefully work for you.  Start your text messaging app so that is shows all of your message threads (the main text messaging app screen).  Pressing the menu key and looking for a "delete all" or "select all" option seems to be obvious, but there is no such option listed on my phone.  The only options there are "Messaging Settings" and "To Online Album".  Neither of these will allow you to select and delete multiple messages.

However, if you *long press* on any message thread, the app will switch into a "select" mode, and it will say "1 selected" at the top of the page.  Once in this mode, you can select multiple threads, or press the "1 selected" text at the top and it will display a menu to select all threads.  Now you can touch the garbage can in the upper right and delete all messages.

Wouldn't it be great if we had some way of finding this stuff out, like DOCUMENTATION ?  Anyway, I hope this helps you.

View solution in original post

The_Friendly_Aramdill

as far as deleting the messages on the droid 4 i would say when you open up the message tab hit your menu button and I would think there would delete all or delete selected ... And on the message from your self what did the message say? did it just you had a miss call or was it more personal of a text rather then a random thing sent from a bot

0 Likes
KSloniger

Before the phone updated to ICS, I was able to hit the menu button and "delete all" so naturally I tried that after the update and the option is no longer there. The text I received from myself contained nothing except the phone number I had just had the missed call from. No words, nothing else, just the number. It was very odd and not something that has ever happened before so I thought maybe it was a new ICS feature??

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi KSloniger! I can definitely imagine how time consuming it can be to delete messages one at a time. This is especially true when you send and receive messages on a regular basis. I've checked my resouces, and this is not something that has been reported as a known issue with this device. So, I'd like to ask you, are you using the messaging application that came with the phone, or are you using a messaging application that has been downloaded? If downloaded, please uninstall it for now. Also, if you press and hold on one of the threads you want to delete (a thread can consist of as little as one message), do you get the option to delete the thread? Another question for you is, when in the messaging screen (it shows your messages), if you press Menu, then press Settings, do you see an option to delete threads? You should see this, then you can click all of the threads you want to delete, all at once! Please check out these steps and let me know how it works out for you. Thanks!

Christina B
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
DougC35
Enthusiast - Level 1

Like many of us suffering with ICS, I feel your pain.  However, for this particular issue, I have an answer that will hopefully work for you.  Start your text messaging app so that is shows all of your message threads (the main text messaging app screen).  Pressing the menu key and looking for a "delete all" or "select all" option seems to be obvious, but there is no such option listed on my phone.  The only options there are "Messaging Settings" and "To Online Album".  Neither of these will allow you to select and delete multiple messages.

However, if you *long press* on any message thread, the app will switch into a "select" mode, and it will say "1 selected" at the top of the page.  Once in this mode, you can select multiple threads, or press the "1 selected" text at the top and it will display a menu to select all threads.  Now you can touch the garbage can in the upper right and delete all messages.

Wouldn't it be great if we had some way of finding this stuff out, like DOCUMENTATION ?  Anyway, I hope this helps you.

KSloniger

"Suffering from ICS".........I love it! Yes, you would think that pressing the menu key would bring up that seemingly simple option "delete all" but apparently that option wasn't complex enough for ICS. Your answer absolutely worked and I'm grateful! Documentation would be great--and believe me I Googled until I got Carpal Tunnel trying to find a guide to the new update to no avail--but again, some sort of documentation would make things too easy. Thank you very much for your help! Smiley Happy

0 Likes
ricemeli
Enthusiast - Level 3

:

While I am very late in joining this conversation, and the link / attachment below to the documentation does not directly address your issue with text messaging, mentioned rightfully how nice it would be that we receive some sort of documentation with new rollouts / releases. I am having an unrelated issue of my own, and in the process of attempting to find resolution I found the below linked / attached documentation on the 4.0.4 release of ICS. While neither your nor my issues were addressed, I learned a couple things and hope this documentation might be of some help to you and others, as well.

support.verizonwireless.com/pdf/system_update/droid_4.pdf

Cheers!

Kind regards,

ricemeli

0 Likes