Re: Software updates for Verizon Samsung Continuum
ArnettH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello fsuinn,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feedback as it is always appreciated. Although I am unable to speak on another rep's behalf, I would hope that you purchased the Continuum as it's functionality were impressive enough to meet your wireless needs. From a software update point of view, the developers govern what devices receives what update and when it is to be rolled out. As it stands today, there hasn't been any official communication on an update for the Continuum. Also, since the hardware specification for Android software updates aren't public, we are unable to confirm or deny if the Continuum is capable for running with the updates in question. Please understand that we don't want you to feel stuck with a phone, which is why I hope that the device was chosen based on your wireless needs and not speculation. If you are having any issues with your device and it's functionality then I am available to assist. We stand by all of our customers for any issues that they have and we also enforce the warranty that each manufacturers have included with each phone. Hopefully this posting with encourage you to reply with your concern so I can help.

Thank you...

0 Likes
JayPeriod

Arnett, the Continuum IS capable of running 2.2, just ask the fine folks at xda. Second, when we expressed doubts about it not coming out with 2.2, thinking another phone would better meet our needs, we were assured the update was coming. A purchase was made based on that expectation, because it wouldn't meet our needs, "as is," but once the update came through, it would. If they had been straight forward and said no update was coming, we would have made a different choice.

Another point on this is that a year ago, this phone would run almost every app on the market. Now, though, most apps are coming out with a minimum of 2.2. It won't be long and the phone won't run any new apps. This is not to mention that the phone is less secure with 2.1 than it would be with 2.2. How long before 2.3 is a must?

Finally, there is the case of those who purchased docks which would not fully function with 2.1.  What of that problem?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

JayPeriod wrote:

Arnett, the Continuum IS capable of running 2.2, just ask the fine folks at xda. Second, when we expressed doubts about it not coming out with 2.2, thinking another phone would better meet our needs, we were assured the update was coming. A purchase was made based on that expectation, because it wouldn't meet our needs, "as is," but once the update came through, it would. If they had been straight forward and said no update was coming, we would have made a different choice.

Another point on this is that a year ago, this phone would run almost every app on the market. Now, though, most apps are coming out with a minimum of 2.2. It won't be long and the phone won't run any new apps. This is not to mention that the phone is less secure with 2.1 than it would be with 2.2. How long before 2.3 is a must?

Finally, there is the case of those who purchased docks which would not fully function with 2.1.  What of that problem?

The dock issue is NOT on Verizon.  Samsung makes the dock for their devices, and they put the restriction there.  Android is OPEN SOURCE they could have put the needed API's they need to make it work, but chose to roll out 2.2 on their devices vs. doing so.
An Example would be Skype vs. Fringe/Tango/Qik.  Skype unofficially supports a FFC on anything lower than 2.3, but Fringe/Tango/Qik all work with FFC since 2.1.  The difference is the coding.
0 Likes
Triplescrew
Enthusiast - Level 2

ArnettH_VZW wrote:

Hello fsuinn,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feedback as it is always appreciated. Although I am unable to speak on another rep's behalf, I would hope that you purchased the Continuum as it's functionality were impressive enough to meet your wireless needs. From a software update point of view, the developers govern what devices receives what update and when it is to be rolled out. As it stands today, there hasn't been any official communication on an update for the Continuum. Also, since the hardware specification for Android software updates aren't public, we are unable to confirm or deny if the Continuum is capable for running with the updates in question. Please understand that we don't want you to feel stuck with a phone, which is why I hope that the device was chosen based on your wireless needs and not speculation. If you are having any issues with your device and it's functionality then I am available to assist. We stand by all of our customers for any issues that they have and we also enforce the warranty that each manufacturers have included with each phone. Hopefully this posting with encourage you to reply with your concern so I can help.

Thank you...

Lame. I should have bought an Iphone.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

ArnettH_VZW wrote:

Hello fsuinn,

Thank you...

Technically they do, kinda...
Look at the ADP1(G1), ADP2(MyTouch), Nexus One, Nexus S, and Galaxy Nexus.  They are on par with what was out at the time.  These can be considered minimal specifications to ensure the device runs.  When they stop updating the device it's best to conceieve that anything within that range in specs will more than likely not run the version efficiently to Google's own liking.  The G1, and MyTouch stopped at 2.2, the Nexus One(Similar spec'd as the Continuum) stopped at 2.3, and the Nexus S, and Galaxy Nexus will have 4.0.  
When I buy devices I will watch what the developer devices have and match the specs to know how far my phone can be updated to.  
0 Likes
JayPeriod

So, there's a thread where it's announced that the Fascinate has GB in testing, and should be released soon to everyone.  Now, we'll be the only Galaxy phone on 2.1.  That's TWO updates behind the other Galaxy phones.  I don't care who is to blame, Verizon or Samsung, I'm going to be done with both at the end of my contract.  If it's Verizon's fault, Samsung should have pressured them, and vice versa.

0 Likes
JayPeriod

Has anyone considered taking this to Google?  I don't think they can be completely left out of the blame game on this.  Can you imagine Microsoft developing versions of OS and Dell using one build, Gateway another, Toshiba yet another?  No.  Microsoft develops the OS and lays out the specs to the manufacturers.  They then build equipment that will run the software.  Updates are then handled by Microsoft, not the manufacturer.  This is where Android is losing me.  I despise Apple.  They are over priced and way too proud of their stuff, but at least we don't hear the same problems of OS builds we are hearing from Google.  Maybe Google should build ICS, tell manufacturers what the specs are and go from there.  Without that kind of committment, I'm not sure I want another Android phone.  It'll be outdated and useless in 6-8 months.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend
That's the beauty of open source. Google makes the software for anyone to use. Their only job is to maintain the source code and not every device or computer that wants to use it.
0 Likes