Severe battery drain after recent update
MATTRO96

I have an LG V20 and yesterday I completed a system update to software version VS99513A. After completing the update I have noticed a significant decline in battery performance. My phone has gone from 100% charge to 11% charge in a matter of 5.5 hours with minimal usage. I checked for any apps running in the background but continue to experience rapid decline in battery status even after closing all background applications. I've spoken with 2 friends that also have V20s and are having similar experiences. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Is there a possible glitch associated with the update?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Severe battery drain after recent update
ChrisDG74
Enthusiast - Level 3

After 2.5 months of begging and pleading...Verizon finally sent me a replacement battery. I can say, that after 17 days, I have not had a single overheating issue. By now, I would have normally had anywhere from 8-12. If SOMEONE(LG or Verizon) would have just sent me a new battery, like I ORIGINALLY asked, back in November, we (myself, LG and VZW) could have been saved a lot of time(mine) and money(theirs) with shipping back and forth, multiple times.

View solution in original post

kathy65793
Master - Level 1

One of the best thing you can do after an update is to clear the cache partition on your phone and make sure that all the apps you use are updated and the ones you don't use are disabled. It also takes a few days for the phone to catch up to the updates and will eventual settle down. Hope this helps

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MATTRO96, we want to make sure you have good battery life on your phone. We are here to provide support. There are several things we will need to check to make sure you have optimal battery life on your phone. The first thing we would like for you to do is to run our Verizon health check on your phone. I have provided instructions in the link: http://vz.to/2j4YSuk

RalphT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Being able to have your phone battery last more than 5 hours is imperative MATTRO96. Have you changed your phone habits? How are you charging your (original charger, computer, wall outlet) device?

AmberF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

are you using fb, they're having some issues abut battery drain.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

bearone21 wrote:

are you using fb, they're having some issues abut battery drain.

When isn't Facebook having battery drain or excessive data issues?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend
0 Likes
ChrisDG74
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's not just Facebook. It's Chrome, Accuweather, Songpop, the freakin' stock calculator, Hangouts. The issue is NOT app-specific......

I have had this issue as well, with TWO different V20s. I even sent one back to LG for them to fix. They had it for 10 days, got it back and it STILL overheats and drains the battery, by 2% a minute.

What I have figured out is, that the issue is with apps not closing when you actually close them. Last week for instance: Sunday - Facebook did it. Tuesday - Chrome(which comes installed on the phone when you turn it on, Thursday - Accuweather (which also comes installed). Today, it was the freakin' calculator.

Every time this happens, I go to settings and force stop the app. The phone then stops draining the battert and then cools off.

Verizon refuses to let me get rid of the phone. They want to buy it out/finish paying it off. Why would I pay off a phone THAT DOESNT WORK???

I have done factory resets, complete wipes, even tried a 2nd phone. The issue persists. Verizon refuses to let me get out of this clunker of a phone, and all LG wants to do is keep "fixing" it.  The only way I can rid of the phone is to switch carriers(who, in turn, cover the cost of buying out this hunk of junk phone).

ChrisDG74
Enthusiast - Level 3

On the 2nd phone, the overheating and battery drain happened without me installing a single app. It was "stock".

KEVPAY2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've experienced the same issue since the update to the new software.  I've tried everything mentioned above but still no luck.  It's a shame there's not been more help from Verizon on this issue that several seem to be having.