Several Problems With My Droid Eris
k1ngr4t

So I got my Eris about three weeks ago and I was loving it. There was only one minor problem at first, but recently more have developed. I'll just list them in bulleted form, starting with the occurence.

• Can't detect my location/gives me inaccurate weather. I live NEAR Roswell, Ga (even though I live in Marietta), but for some reason it puts me at a Roswell two time zones away (New Mexico?). The clock in the menu bar is right, but the clock app is also in Roswell. I read about the gps thing and how I should try it outside but that didn't seem to work. I did find the "enable GPS" page but I haven't registered for it online yet, if thats what everyone was saying.
  • Phone has started lagging. It used to be very smooth but now it just seems to take longer to do things like return to the Home, open Texts, and rotate the screen etc.
  • Can't connect to market/can't update. Everytime I try it says "connection failed, retry or cancel" and it's been trying to update the City Caller ID for several days now. We have the $30/month data plan and the bill has been paid. I haven't used the data services THAT much and I've only downloaded a handful of free apps.
  • Can't figure out how to change the text message sound. I changed the notification and ringtones, but I can't find the new text sound option.

So yeah, I do love this phone and I've been talking it up to everyone, but I am slightly discouraged by these, mostly the connection failed issue. So if anyone can help that'd be greatly appreciated because I really am enjoying this crazy piece of technology and really don't want to give up on it just yet. Thanks for your help!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Several Problems With My Droid Eris
PPC_Dude
Contributor - Level 2

k1ngr4t wrote:

So I got my Eris about three weeks ago and I was loving it. There was only one minor problem at first, but recently more have developed. I'll just list them in bulleted form, starting with the occurence.

• Can't detect my location/gives me inaccurate weather. I live NEAR Roswell, Ga (even though I live in Marietta), but for some reason it puts me at a Roswell two time zones away (New Mexico?). The clock in the menu bar is right, but the clock app is also in Roswell. I read about the gps thing and how I should try it outside but that didn't seem to work. I did find the "enable GPS" page but I haven't registered for it online yet, if thats what everyone was saying.
  • Phone has started lagging. It used to be very smooth but now it just seems to take longer to do things like return to the Home, open Texts, and rotate the screen etc.
  • Can't connect to market/can't update. Everytime I try it says "connection failed, retry or cancel" and it's been trying to update the City Caller ID for several days now. We have the $30/month data plan and the bill has been paid. I haven't used the data services THAT much and I've only downloaded a handful of free apps.
  • Can't figure out how to change the text message sound. I changed the notification and ringtones, but I can't find the new text sound option.

So yeah, I do love this phone and I've been talking it up to everyone, but I am slightly discouraged by these, mostly the connection failed issue. So if anyone can help that'd be greatly appreciated because I really am enjoying this crazy piece of technology and really don't want to give up on it just yet. Thanks for your help!

Turn the phone off (shut it down), remove the battery, wait ten seconds and replace the battery then turn it back on.  This probably won't fix your weather/time problem with HTC's widget, but it will almost certainly help out your lag issues and might very well fix your Market problem.  Once you phone is back up go to the dialer and dial *228 "send" and select option 2.

I'm with gcomeau on the "text message sound".  Unless you mean that you have set the pone notification/ringtone and haven't yet changed the messaging notification.  Messaging > Menu > Settings > scroll to Notifications make sure it's checked  > Select Ringtone > pick a ringtone from the list.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
k1ngr4t

Bump please! I know somebody knows the answer to these...

0 Likes
gcomeau

Location issue: It's a hard coded problem that HTC needs to patch and hasn't gotten around to yet... they're aware of it though and apparently a patch will eventually be coming. I have the same issue... I live in Fremont CA, which is right next to Newark, CA.  Any time my phone thinks I'm in Newark it also decides I'm in New Jersey.

Until HTC patches the system to be able to realize that there's more than one of any given city with the same **bleep** name you probably just have to put up with it.

Lagging: I would suggest downloading the Advanced Task Killer Free" app from the market. if it wasn't for the problem you list after this one. If you don't have it (which I'm assuming you don't) you might be surprised how many applications you have running in the background at any given time.

Can't connect to market: Not really sure what that would be, sorry. I'm assuming all your other data connections are working? You can still browse the internet, etc...? Is your 3G connection active? This may be related to your location problem... if Roswell NM doesn't have 3G coverage your phone may be de-activating your 3G connection in response to thinking it's there. The only way I can think to test it though is for you to drive south towards Atlanta until your location is registered properly then try connecting there and see what happens.

I don't know what you mean by "text message sound" if it isn't the notification...

0 Likes
PPC_Dude
Contributor - Level 2

k1ngr4t wrote:

Turn the phone off (shut it down), remove the battery, wait ten seconds and replace the battery then turn it back on.  This probably won't fix your weather/time problem with HTC's widget, but it will almost certainly help out your lag issues and might very well fix your Market problem.  Once you phone is back up go to the dialer and dial *228 "send" and select option 2.

I'm with gcomeau on the "text message sound".  Unless you mean that you have set the pone notification/ringtone and haven't yet changed the messaging notification.  Messaging > Menu > Settings > scroll to Notifications make sure it's checked  > Select Ringtone > pick a ringtone from the list.

0 Likes
k1ngr4t

Awesome, thanks so much for your help both of you. I'm about to try the battery removal idea and I assumed it was an HTC problem and they'd have a patch coming soon.

As for the text message sound, it's like this....whenever I get a missed call or a new voicemail or updates, e-mails etc, I have a sound clip from a Dave Chappelle soundboard app that plays everytime. However, it's only when I get a new text message that, instead of playing the Chappelle clip, it plays the default sound that was the original setting. I've triple checked the notification sound and it's on the Chappele clip, but for some reason texts don't use it...if that helps at all. Sounds like it might be an issue with my phone specifically.

0 Likes
k1ngr4t

Quick update....

The restart definitely helped the lag.

The weather is still off though.

Also I turned my WiFi off and the market and everything else works like normal. So any ideas what that means? The wifi signal was always pretty low, usually only having one or two of the little "waves" filled in.

0 Likes
ivorycruncher
Contributor - Level 1

Do you have the GPS radio on or off?  I found that with it off, my location detection works pretty well, and is either right on, or within 10 or so miles away.  I live in central Minnesota, and when I tried to leave the GPS radio on for a while, it kept flipping to random towns around Minnesota I had never heard of, and then started bouncing even further, once to North Dakota, and once up into Canada!  At that point, I turned the GPS radio off, and the location detection (using cell towers, I'm assuming) immediately corrected itself.

As for the connection issues over WiFi, as long as the phone has some level of WiFi connection, I don't think it will use the cellular network for data at all, regardless of how well (or poorly) the WiFi is working.  However, if you go to a coffee shop or something where the access point is very close, and you still get bad WiFi performance, it sounds like you have a defective unit, and probably need to get it replaced.

0 Likes
PPC_Dude
Contributor - Level 2

k1ngr4t wrote:

Awesome, thanks so much for your help both of you. I'm about to try the battery removal idea and I assumed it was an HTC problem and they'd have a patch coming soon.

As for the text message sound, it's like this....whenever I get a missed call or a new voicemail or updates, e-mails etc, I have a sound clip from a Dave Chappelle soundboard app that plays everytime. However, it's only when I get a new text message that, instead of playing the Chappelle clip, it plays the default sound that was the original setting. I've triple checked the notification sound and it's on the Chappele clip, but for some reason texts don't use it...if that helps at all. Sounds like it might be an issue with my phone specifically.

You say that you've "triple checked" the notification sound, but where are you checking it?  Are you setting/checking it from within the messaging application itself?

0 Likes
k1ngr4t

See the problem now is whenever I turn on my WiFi, anywhere at all, nothing works. Market, internet, certain apps, nothing. But when I use the mobile network, everything works really well. So it seems like it's an issue with my phone.

As for the notifications thing, I hit menu, settings, sound & display, notification sound, and then the Dave Chappelle clip is selected. It works for every other notification, just not text messages. Are you saying I need to select it in the actual messaging settings?

0 Likes
PPC_Dude
Contributor - Level 2

k1ngr4t wrote:

See the problem now is whenever I turn on my WiFi, anywhere at all, nothing works. Market, internet, certain apps, nothing. But when I use the mobile network, everything works really well. So it seems like it's an issue with my phone.

As for the notifications thing, I hit menu, settings, sound & display, notification sound, and then the Dave Chappelle clip is selected. It works for every other notification, just not text messages. Are you saying I need to select it in the actual messaging settings?

The wifi issue sounds like a problem with the connection between the phone and the wifi access point or possibly the access point and the internet. We'll need more information, to help with that. Yes, go into the settings in the messaging app and select the notification sound you want.
0 Likes