Sending a text or placing a call disconnects phone from tower. [LG Spectrum II]
TejasS
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi. I purchased a LG Spectrum 2 Friday and am currently running it entirely stock, out of box with only the required updates for programs that came with it. Nothing weird, nothing funky, not even any downloaded apps so far. I'm in a 3G area and the signal strength to the tower is -76dB for 3G and -73db for 1X. My previous phone, a LG Extravert worked flawlessly by way of network functions.

The problem is about every 4th text message I attempt to send results in a total loss of signal. This also happens about half the time I press "dial" on a call. The signal stays down for 15-30 seconds, then pops back up at the same strength and everything as before. It does this with WiFi on and also with it disabled. I've also tried selecting CDMA instead of global, but no dice. Strangely enough I've never had a call drop once connected and the quality is completely acceptable. This is my first "smart" phone and I'm pretty much out of ideas. I tried searching for the issue but found very little that relates to my problem.

Does anyone have any advice regarding this? Anyone else dealing with the same thing?

Thanks in advance,

-S

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Sending a text or placing a call disconnects phone from tower. [LG Spectrum II]
android_wiz
Contributor - Level 1

try a battery pull and a sim pull if that doesnt work try

•   Ensure the device is powered off. 
    1. To power off, press and hold the Power button.

Power button

2. Select Power off.

Phone Options with Power off

3. Select OK.
      Note Allow several seconds for the device to power off.

Power off with OK

•   Press and hold the Power button until the LG logo appears then release.

LG logo

• With the LG logo onscreen, press and hold the Volume down key.

Volume down key

• Continue to hold the Volume down key until Safe mode appears in the lower-left of the unlock screen then release.
    Note This may take up to 45 seconds.

this is safe mode so the phone will soli be running off of its operating system if it works fine then its an app youve downloaded if your still having problems try *(to exit safe mode power cycle device)*

try a factory reset if nothing seems to work then call

Tech Support (1-866-221-4096) from a different device and go thru some more troubleshooting you may need another sim

0 Likes
Re: Sending a text or placing a call disconnects phone from tower. [LG Spectrum II]
TejasS
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the reply but no luck. Running factory in safe mode, signal strength 4 bars, try to send a text it disconnects, 15 seconds later the tower comes back at 4 bars again. Smiley Sad Guess I'll be calling tech.

0 Likes
android_wiz
Contributor - Level 1

im sorry yea call tech support they will get you taken care of

0 Likes
TejasS
Enthusiast - Level 1

After multiple sessions with the tech line all they can suggest is swapping it for another phone, which I'm pretty sure won't fix the problem. I found several other spectrum 2 users having identical issues that weren't resolved by exchanging the phone. I'm going to give a swap out one chance and if that doesn't work get a refund outright as I don't want to get into that "well let's send out a 4th new phone and see if that one works" loop.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would try a different SIM card before replacing the phone. Since all the network connection programming is stored on the SIM card now perhaps either a bad programming or an accidental touch messed up the SIM card.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
TejasS
Enthusiast - Level 1

Swapped out for another Spectrum II, so far so good. Hopefully this was just a bad radio and this is the end of my problems, as I really like the phone and it performs excellent aside from the "deal breaker" network issue I was having. Too early to say it's resolved but I thought I'd update this for the benefit of anyone else who has the same issue and comes across my posts down the line.

android_wiz
Contributor - Level 1

if all else fails see about and alt. replacement

0 Likes