Security and Privacy: This network has been compromised
FAUM
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently upgraded my phone, and with that I began using the Security and Privacy app.  It has been interjecting to secure unprotected networks, and I have appreciated that.

However, I recently encountered a problem that I cannot solve.

At my parents' house, every time I connect to their WiFi, Security and Privacy pops up and tells me, "This network has been compromised."  How can I figure out the reason for this message?

I logged in to the router's web interface, to confirm that network encryption was enabled (it was, WPA2), and I saw that there was a firmware update available, which included several security patches, and I thought that that must be the source of the problem.  But I upgraded the firmware and still the message keeps being shown.

Then I tried to change the router's admin UI login/password (it had previously been the default), but that did not stop the message either.

I also then confirmed that remote management is disabled, that there are no ports being forwarded, and that there were no unexpected devices on the network.

I have also thought of confirming that there is no DMZ server configured, and that WPS is disabled, but I have yet to check those things.

Again, how can I determine why the app is telling me that a particular network has been compromised?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
Re: Security and Privacy: This network has been compromised
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for reaching out to us, FAUM. We understand your confusion here, from the information that I have avalbile to me I belive you will need to reach out to the internet service provider for assistance with this matter.

CecileC_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
jlanka
Enthusiast - Level 1

Classic pass the buck.  I get that from vendors all the time. 

Hanomag
Enthusiast - Level 1

You Nit Wits ARE the providers! ! Explain it now wisenheimer!

deloused
Master - Level 3

No, they are not the ISP.  You’re on the VERIZON WIRELESS forum. In this case the alert issue is regarding the router that the device is connecting to for WiFi. The provider that the router connects to the internet with could assist with security checks and settings to help, like configuration/encryption and access control settings. [removed]

Content modified as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service.

VzWayne
Enthusiast - Level 2

Referencing original post:

I've started getting that same message from all Wi-Fi networks I connect to (eg. home, work, Starbucks, etc).  These are networks I've used for a long time.  I had never seen this pop-up previously.

Initially I thought it was mal-ware.  I called Verizon customer service, but they had no idea what I was talking about.  I told them it looked like a Verizon security app, that was nagging for Safe WiFi signup.  They told me not to select anything, and suspected it was probably malware or phishing.

So, what has changed?  And, why doesn't Verizon know what their own apps are doing?

Security&Privacy SafeWiFi PopUp.jpg

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

VzWayne, I appreciate the screenshot you've provided and I can certainly understand your concerns about receiving Security & Privacy prompts for networks you've connected to in the past. Help is here. Based on the information you've shared, I'd like to gather additional information. When did this start to occur? Have you made any recent changes to your phone? Please note that you may follow the steps under "Manage Wi-Fi Networks" to manage the list of Allowed networks on your phone, so that you do not receive additional prompts.

LorenzoP_VZW

0 Likes
Megates
Enthusiast - Level 1

I get this as well on my home network that I know is not compromised. My guess is that it's a lie by Verizon to sell their app. The basic security and privacy app does little until you pay extra.

mrcottonmouth
Enthusiast - Level 1

I suspect a false positive. Not sure I want this garbage app on my phone, how do I get rid of it?

VzWayne
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi LorenzoP_VZW,

"When did this start to occur?"  As most things, I don't recall exactly.  For me, it is a recent annoyance within the past few weeks (not more than 1-month).

"Have you made any recent changes to your phone?"  No.  Not within months prior to this occuring.  I may have made some changes since it started attempting to find the cause.  Of course, I don't know what updates have been pushed from Verizon.  I am also a very light user.  I don't install many apps and seldom use the browser.  So, in my case, there's very low probability of 3rd party issues.

Regarding "Manage Wi-Fi Networks" to prevent additional prompts, both my home and work networks are already "Saved Networks".  I don't see any options for handling these in special ways that would prevent them from triggering this warning pop-up.

Thanks, Wayne