Screen goes out
KK814
Contributor - Level 1

When Im talking on my phone,the screen goes black.The only way to get it back is hit the red button at the bottom.

How can I adjust it so that doesn't happen??

I know in settings,I can set the timeout for 10 mins,but it doesn't work...

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Screen goes out
blamiya1
Contributor - Level 3

Does the timeout happen after or before ten minutes of having conversation? If after then it has reached the time limit of how long your phone will stay lit up and you may need to set the timeout to never timeout in the display settings. A phone will usually timeout due to inactivity to conserve the battery. I hope that this is helpful

0 Likes
KK814
Contributor - Level 1

It times out well before the 10 minutes is up..

0 Likes
sHaY_j
Contributor - Level 3

blamiya1 is right, most devices do timeout to conserve the battery. I know my phone does it all the time every time I place the phone near my ear and when I take it away from my ear that's when it lights back up. But hey, no worries it's only saving your battery life.

0 Likes
Not applicable

The screen is supposed to go black while you're talking.  It should come back on as soon as you move the phone away from your ear.  This is a battery saving feature.  Why do you need your screen on while you're talking?

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

there is a sensor on the phone that is supposed to detect when you pull the phone away from your ear. the screen should come on when you do this. it is possible that the sensor is bad or needs recalibrated (if that's possible?). i don'tt have an eris, but i'm guessing it's like most other touch screen phones. it's an issue with some models as, from what i've read, the sensor can be off, depending on how you hold the phone to your ear and where it is located on the phone. it's very annoying when you need to "press 1 for etc, etc" i would take it into a store and have them play with it. hopefully there is a way to adjust that sensor.

0 Likes
KK814
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks to those who were helpful.........I will pay attention next time to see if it comes on,when I have it away from my face.......

and to Jimfitzgerald,what does it matter to you if I want the screen on????:smileymad:

0 Likes
Not applicable

Because you're complaining because your phone works as designed.

0 Likes
KK814
Contributor - Level 1

You consider that a complaint?????? I was just asking about it since it seemed to be a new thing to me......

BTW----------it stays black even after I move it...........(another complaint,I suppose :smileyindifferent:)

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

yeah....it's not supposed to stay black when you remove it from your ear. it's a legitimate issue and sounds like a bad sensor to me? the screen has to come back when you remove it from your ear in order to select options (ie "press 1 for english"....lol). you are also supposed to use other features while talking on the phone, which you can't do, if the screen doesn't turn back on. mine goes black when i put it to my ear and automatically comes back on when i pull it away from my ear. i have the htc di, and you can actually see 2 little sensors in the upper left corner of the phone. one is the sensor that triggers this action (don't even know what the other one is for?).

0 Likes