Re: Samsung Stratosphere
d1pinklady

This happened to my husband twice. We upgraded and bought 2 Stratospheres on 12-31-11.

At the end of January  (~1-24-12), he called me on his way home, less than 20 minutes after using the phone, he came in to the house and put his phone on the kitchen table. About 30 minutes later he went to use the phone and it was cracked on the inside. The screen would not turn on.  We went through the insurance and got a new phone. 2 weeks later, same exact thing happened, except it was only 10 minutes after coming home. This time the insurance wouldn't cover it. They said send it to Samsung, which we did and Samsung said it wasn't their fault and sent the phone back. My husband went to the local verizon store and asked to speak to a manager, he was getting no where and he started speaking very loudly so other customers could here the poor service we were getting from Verizon, the insurance carrier, & Samsung. The manager made it right and suggested he buy the hard cover case to protect the phone.  Since buying the cover he has had no problems with cracking. He never dropped the phone and the problems occurred when we 1st bought the phone. Now its been about a year and no problems since. 

By the way the insurance carrier dropped my husband for a year because of the claim. What good is insurance if as soon as you  make a claim you are dropped? 

My husband hates the Stratosphere and wouldn't buy it again, but I like it. I haven't had any problems so far (knocking on wood)! 

Now he is having problems with the android firmware upgrade 2.3.6.  I haven't upgraded yet and trying to avoid it. I see all the changes and don't like what I see.  will post new thread about this.

Insist you only just bought this and you bought the insurance to go with it. Keep pushing and insisting. The warranty should cover you especially since it is less than 2mos since purchase.

Our local verizon store admitted that screen cracks were apparently common place with this phone...."it happens all the time".

Be insistent and ask to speak with supervisors, especially the insurance people. That's what you are paying for. Especially since it is still a new phone.

0 Likes
Barryhenn
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had a Strato for 18 months and have not had any issues with the phone.  My Daug had 2 of them only Sprint for almost 2 years without any problems with cracked screens.  I usually carry mine in my back pocket and end up sitting on it most of the time.  I have dropped it at least 5 times and so far nothing.  So it's not all Strato's that have a problem.  There must be some flaw in some of them.

I don't get 4G or 3G in my home area but that's a Verizon problem not the phone i think.  Looking at all the charts i am suppose to be in 4G but I think Verizon is over playing the 4G stuff.

0 Likes
puppadog321

We bought 2 stratosphere II phones 3 weeks ago, with insurance, as our primary phones for our new business. Love them, great phones. Today my husband had his phone on the headboard plugged in and left it plugged in and answered it. Made 3 calls and set it back down. It whistled, he touched the screen to clear the notifications and the screen went blue and stayed that way. No evidence of damage or any other issue. He went to the Verizon store where we bought them and got no help. They pointed out a small crack on the screen and said he needed to make an insurance claim as the phone was damaged. He has no patience and he left. A friend came by the house. Now there is a large crack on the screen, but no one has touched the phone. She went with the phone to a different Verizon store (actual Verizon store )and found out our regular Verizon store is no longer a Verizon store it is now an authorized dealer (did not know that). The actual Verizon store was very rude and unhelpful.The phone now has 2 cracks in he screen???? I got home from work and I looked at the phone, I was showed both cracks are now larger than this morning. No one had touched the phone.Then I went back to the store we bought the phones at (more patience than my husband to deal with this). The salesman was very helpful, in that he found out although cracked screens in the first 6 weeks are common, it is not a "manufacturer's defect" and the insurance we bought does not take effect until we have owned the phones for 30 days. He gave me options and none are good. So if we claim on warranty as a "manufacturers defect" we will most likely be billed $500 because a cracked screen is not a "manufacturers defect" and our insurance is not yet in effect but if we wait another 9 days to make an insurance claim for $90 we can get a (refurbished) "certified pre-owned" phone. He tried to get our claim immediately handled but they were on he east coast and no one could make a decision at 3pm pacific time. Really my patience has been tested today. They are going to try to expedite our insurance claim as an emergency early claim so we can keep our business up and running and have contact with customers but no info until Monday and earliest we have the phone is Wed or Thurs. Honestly this is B******t. If I had been a week earlier I could have cancelled my contract returned the phone and started over. No issues. Now we are in limbo. Takes 1 hour to pay and get a 2 year contract and a new phone but God help you if you have an issue. Customer service sucks once the lock you in, and this is every phone company.

0 Likes