Samsung Stratosphere: Connection Unsuccessful
Yerko
Enthusiast - Level 2

Having a problem having my Stratosphere connect to our Wi-Fi at home.

As I go to get online, it asks to select a network. I choose our WEP protected network. I have rechecked the WEP key multiple times. It is entered correctly and is typed in proper case in the event that it is case-sensitive.

As I select the home wifi network, it goes through the following process:

Scanning.
Obtaining IP Address from (Network Name).
Wi-Fi Disconnected.
- Remembered, WEP.
Connection Unsuccessful.

Because of this, I may have trouble with my data usage so I need to find a solution to this.

Any help at all is greatly appreciated as I am very new to the android/smart phone market. I might be a little in over my head on this one.

I am actually heading to a Verizon store right now to see if they can help as well.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Samsung Stratosphere: Connection Unsuccessful
jtown
Contributor - Level 3

I don't have an answer to your question but WEP is not secure at all.  Hasn't been for years.  You may as well put a note that says "please don't steal" on a stack of cash on the sidewalk.  It'll keep someone off your network for about 5 minutes.  You should switch your setup to WPA-2 as soon as possible rather than continue to troubleshoot a WEP connection problem.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Yerko
Enthusiast - Level 2

Went to a Verizon store today and they were able to connect my phone to their secure network with no problem. She had shut off the Mobile Data option (at the top of the wi-fi screen) and said that sometimes when that is ON, it will kick the wi-fi.

I went home and gave it a go and still got nothing. Now all it does is "obtaining IP address" and scans (repeat). I am at a total loss right now.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Do you have MAC address filtering setup on the wireless router?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
jtown
Contributor - Level 3

I don't have an answer to your question but WEP is not secure at all.  Hasn't been for years.  You may as well put a note that says "please don't steal" on a stack of cash on the sidewalk.  It'll keep someone off your network for about 5 minutes.  You should switch your setup to WPA-2 as soon as possible rather than continue to troubleshoot a WEP connection problem.

0 Likes
jtown
Contributor - Level 3

The suggestion to check MAC filtering is a good one.  Not only have I forgotten about that, I forgot that I forgot.

0 Likes
Yerko
Enthusiast - Level 2

jtown, this is exactly what I ended up doing. Appreciate the help guys, thank you very much.

0 Likes
photopro

i am having the same problem and its frustrating!! i refuse to pay $30/mo per phone for 3 phones on a FAMILY plan so i plan to use the wifi connection at home whenever possible to load apps to save data time.  I have the Verizon Router mi424 which is supposed to be the latest greatest thing.  Does the WPS button function?  if not when do you plan to update the firmware; i thought it used to support WPS.  Technology shouldnt go backwards...  if it doesnt support WPS what is the procedure for wifi connection?  After all this is a Verizon phone, and a Verizon router...  

thanks

0 Likes