Samsung S4 intermittently won't send out SMS/MMS messages. No problem receiving them.
DCGuetterman

I've had my Samsung S4 for almost a year now. The past several weeks I've randomly had issues with it sending out text messages. I send it and the symbol just turns then it comes back saying Failed. It's happened at several locations that have Verizon service. It's happened with multiple people at different times of the day. Eventually it will work again. I brought it into a Verizon store and the salesman was able to witness it. He said to contact Verizon tech and even thought it might be a software issue. Below are the troubleshooting steps I've tried:

1. I've erased all my messages

2. Cleared cache in the application manager.

1. Go to Settings
  2. Select Application Manager -> ALL (swipe to the right to select ALL)
  3. Select Messaging.
  4. Select Force Stop and Clear data.
  5. Go back to ALL and select Google Services Framework.
  6. Select Clear data.
  7. Shutdown your phone and turn it back on.
  8. Try to send messages. See if they will go through or still have same error.

3. turned off phone

4. took out battery and sim card

5. uninstalled google voice thinking it might be interfering with the messaging app

6. I have just over 3 GB of storage left on my phone so there should be enough space

Any thoughts / help would be appreciated!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Samsung S4 intermittently won't send out SMS/MMS messages. No problem receiving them.
Graftyman
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's the KitKat update.  Verizon will run you through a list of things to check. None will work. Most of us have success with going into Airplane mode and then back out of airplane mode and trying to resend.

View solution in original post

Re: Samsung S4 intermittently won't send out SMS/MMS messages. No problem receiving them.
Graftyman
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's the KitKat update.  Verizon will run you through a list of things to check. None will work. Most of us have success with going into Airplane mode and then back out of airplane mode and trying to resend.

clay6023
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank You. That fixed mine.

0 Likes
DCGuetterman

Thank you Graftyman - It worked for me. Having a workaround will ease some of the frustration! Do I contact google to file a complaint so they get an idea of how many people this is affecting. They need to send out a patch to fix this. Any contact info would be appreciated if you happen to have it.

0 Likes
DCGuetterman

Thank you Graftyman - It worked for me. Having a workaround will ease some of the frustration! Do I contact google to file a complaint so they get an idea of how many people this is affecting. They need to send out a patch to fix this. Any contact info would be appreciated if you happen to have it.

0 Likes
mag2

So as of yet there is no real fix for this? Just a work around? Phone is a work phone so instant communication with staff is extremely important from this device.

0 Likes