Samsung Note 3 Lollipop Stuck at Searching For Service...
siyang99
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have terrible signal strength at work and often completely lose cell reception.  Ever since I've updated my Samsung Note 3 to 5.0, whenever I completely lose cell signal for hours and I go outside, my phone will not pick up the mobile network again.  It's stuck at the "Searching For Service" part.  I have to restart my phone and I'm immediately back on the mobile network.  On 4.4.3, it would pick back up in a few seconds once I step outside. 

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Samsung Note 3 Lollipop Stuck at Searching For Service...
Joshville
Enthusiast - Level 2

I stopped by a Verizon store on Saturday to get replacement SIM per suggestion.  However, they made a suggestion that seems to be working so far:

Go to Settings→More networks→Mobile networks→Network mode.  There are three options: Global, LTE/CDMA, and GSM/UMTS.  Mine had been set to Global (not sure why, possibly happened/pushed due to a recent trip to Japan?).  Changing to LTE/CDMA seems to have fixed the problem.  Thursday and Friday of last week I had to reboot several times.  Monday and Tuesday this week I have not had an issue reconnecting.

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
slyang99,

Software updates are meant to improve your phone, not cause you headaches. Is this only happening while at work? How often is it happening? What's the zip code where you work?

JohnB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
siyang99
Enthusiast - Level 2

This has only been happening at work mainly because it's the only place where I lose cell signal completely.  It essentially has been happening everyday since I've updated to 5.0.  My work zip code is 21205.

I contacted a VZW representative last night and he said he reset my cellphone login on the tower or something to see if that fixed it, but it didn't.  I noticed my phone has lost signal for a while now so I went outside for about 10 minutes but it would not pick up mobile network, so the problem still exists.

Joshville
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi, I have this exact same problem.  My zip code at work is 37801.  Terrible service at work (inside a metal building) so I lose signal frequently for extended periods.  I have not found anything but a reboot (after I get outside to a strong signal) to get it to reconnect after losing signal for more than a few minutes. 

siyang99
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've factory data reset and restored my phone, twice, and the problem still persists.  So, I'm pretty sure this is a software problem.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
siyang99,

Thanks for the additional info! I can definitely understand your concern. Being able to use your phone for work is definitely important.

You mentioned the issue is only at work and the hard reset has not helped. If the issue were due to software you would experience the same issues everywhere. We are unable to guarantee service indoors because there are many factors out of control that can interfere with the signal. But I definitely want to further assist since you have been able to use your phone there before.

I checked the coverage in that area and show good coverage. What's the signal strength on your phone when at work http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-88700/? We can try replacing your SIM card to see if you notice an improvement. You can get the sim card replaced at a VZW store for free or we can order and send one out to you.

JohnB_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
siyang99
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, the problem only happens at work because it's the only place that I go where I completely lose cell signal for extended period of time.  Everywhere else I go, I have at least 1 bar of service with Verizon, so I can't say if it's at work or a software bug with losing connection.

I would like to say, however, that I've had this phone for 1.5years and with Android 4.4.3, I would still lose cell reception for the entire work day, but as soon as I step outside, I would be back online within seconds, so I still think it's a software bug.

I've spoken to a representative on the phone yesterday and they said they're sending me a new SIM card for me to try, so I'll see how that goes.

0 Likes
Joshville
Enthusiast - Level 2

John,

I don't think you understood the issue.

Of course reception indoors is terrible. This is not new.  This is understood. 

Of course reception outdoors is good.  This is also not new.

With KitKat, when I walked outside my building and into good signal, my phone would automatically reconnect to the network.

What has changed since Lollipop is that the phone WILL NOT RECONNECT TO THE NETWORK after going outside.

Toggling airplane mode and wireless networks on and off will not reconnect.

The only thing that will make the phone reconnect after an extended period without signal is to reboot.

schtefan
Contributor - Level 1

Another bug to fix in lollipop.  Verizion are you logging this issues and placing a stop on this horrid software update to 5.0?  Or are you going to blame the user like it is their fault.  Look, Verizon has a responibility to provide a service, the money has already been exchanged that makes Verizon LIABLE in a court of law.  Get it>??

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Joshville,

We certainly want to make sure you get the support you need and great signal. You shouldn't have to restart the phone for this. I appreciate you trying the factory reset. If that doesn't solve it the other things to try would be the phone or the SIM card being replaced. Have you tried a replacement SIM? We provide those at no charge and we could absolutely get you one.

AndrewT_VZW

0 Likes