Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 keeps dropping to 3G
mjsmigielski
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you again for the reply. Changing from Global to LTE/CDMA didn't really make a difference. I've been playing around with signal strength and it definitely seems to be an issue with both phones in that putting them into a pocket most likely will cause the signal to drop to 3G from 4G.

I don't think I've ever seen it go back to 4G once it drops to 3G. Will it automatically go back to 4G when it detects a better signal? I don't think it has been doing that.

0 Likes
BigLefty24
Enthusiast - Level 3

Mine will eventually. The easiest method I have found is to turn on airplane mode briefly, then turn it back off. It should come back on with 4G coverage.

0 Likes
mjsmigielski
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks BigLefty24. I have seen it go back to 4G but it is rare. You mention that you have a similar issue with your S5. Is yours always dropping to 3G regardless of signal strength? From my limited testing, my issue seems to be related to signal strength in that when the signal gets weak (1 bar), it will sometimes go down to 3G when in a pocket (I must have really bad luck in where my house is Smiley Happy). I have yet to see it drop to 3G in an area where I have 3-4 bars.

0 Likes
BigLefty24
Enthusiast - Level 3

Mine will switch regardless of where I'm at and/or signal strength. I took mine to the Samsung rep at Best Buy. He told me it should seldom drop to 3G in our area, and never to 1X. I proceeded to show him the screenshots of the phone in 1X along with the Google Map to verify location. He pretty much seemed dumbfounded. He asked for the phone in order to run the phone through his software to make sure the builds were correct. When I put the phone on the counter, it was showing 1X inside the Best Buy store. He said "you need a new phone".

He claimed he had never heard of this issue with the S5, but a quick Google search will quickly tell you it is definitely an issue.   Good luck.

chapelridge107

had hearing problems with my s5 dropped call, application problems can't turn phone off, had to take battery out. I can hear the person I called or they called me but they can't hear me. they feel that since they are replacing my 5th phone that I shouldn't get credit. I spoke to worthless supervisors. I didn't want to call them cause they make you feel  like you are a liar, from corporate office linda, that handles better business complaints, a rep can promise a credit then not come through, they can lie and the supervisor condones the lie by saying it is a training opportunity. they don't honor a loyal customer and everything is documented. but refuse to do what is right. I spoke to ruben and ashton for device issues, but they said they hate to loose me as a customer jayde a phone rep kept me on hold for 30-40 mins without  comining back to say the supervisor is busy or anything Donnie was another rep. the first thing out of there mouth you got a 25.00 credit on 12/4. but still having problems and refuse to get credit for issues today. I have insurance on my phone so they are not doing anything special. so they won't change me out of the phone I asked.  do you trust a factory refurbished phone. what are my options?. do I trust Verizon lies

0 Likes