Samsung Galaxy S5 Won't Connect to WiFi
wtjmcr
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently switched from a Samsung Galaxy S3 to an S5 and my fiancee switched from an iPhone 4S to an S5. We've always been able to connect wonderfully to our WiFi from both the S3 and 4S (and still can), but every time we try to connect to the WiFi from our S5's, it'll try for a bit saying "obtaining IP Address" then after about a minute it will pop up with an error message that says "Attention: AP currently not in use. Internet connection slow." And gives the options to "Cancel", "Retry", or "Forget."

The password is correct (I have retyped it MANY times), the signal strength is strong, and the WiFi works PERFECTLY with my Galaxy S3, her iPhone 4S, and my laptop.

I thought that maybe it was just something to do with the S5's at first, BUT when my fiance's upgrade date came around, she first chose an HTC One M8 and it would not connect to the WiFi either. She switched to the S5 a few days later.

Any help on this subject would be GREATLY appreciated as we've been having this problem for some time now only to get answers from people like "you're typing in your password wrong" or "send the phones to Samsung for repairs." I do not believe it's solely the Galaxy S5's fault. There's got to be something else.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Won't Connect to WiFi
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

chards Thanks for the details. Please try and turn off the wifi. Once the wifi is off power down the phone and remove the sim. After you reinsert the sim and power on the phone retest the wifi connections.

SheritaH_vzw
Follow us on Twitter
@VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

wtjmcr Our goal is definitely to make sure the wifi function on the S5 is working properly. You mentioned the wifi connection also did not work with the HTC m8 but does work with other devices. This would cause us to believe it is not an issue with the S5 at this time. Have you tried to connect to wifi at various locations? Please share details about if this happens with any wifi connection.

SheritaH_vzw
Follow us on Twitter
@VZWSupport

0 Likes
chards

The same thing is happening to my s5. It started occuring about 3 days ago. I have tried several wifi locations. Not only does it not connect but it has forgotten all saved wifi locations and passwords.

Multiple password try fail the same way.

This may be associated with latest security update. It needs to be resolved asap.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

chards Having a reliable wifi connection is important. We're sorry to hear about your issues with connecting at various locations. What troubleshooting steps have you tried with the phone, so far?

SheritaH_vzw
Follow us on Twitter
@VZWSupport

0 Likes
chards

My phone has been power cycled several times. I have tried connecting to three, separate, known wifi routers in different locations - my work, my home, my fiance parents house. I have verified the correct password many times.

The issue is the same. Authorization error. Password incorrect. It does not remember any wifi router I have previously connected too.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

chards Thanks for the details. Please try and turn off the wifi. Once the wifi is off power down the phone and remove the sim. After you reinsert the sim and power on the phone retest the wifi connections.

SheritaH_vzw
Follow us on Twitter
@VZWSupport

0 Likes
chards

Thank you, this was the solution. Any idea what causes this?

0 Likes
pman7373

I have a similar problem to chards, but reset with sim pull and restart didn't work.

First you lock me into a contract, then you take my unlimited data, then you SELL me a phone that doesn't work on wifi. All the while you profit. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE AND I NEED A FIX ASAP.

Every other device I own works on the wifi connection.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

pman7373,

I understand your concerns.  We're here to assist.  It's certainly not Verizon Wireless's intentions for you're wifi to be malfunctioning on your Samsung device.  The next step we'd have you take is to restart the device in safe mode and test wifi.  You can view instructions here; http://vz.to/1B5LU1C.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

TrevorC_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
tbo27
Master - Level 2

Did you reboot/reset you router.  Go ahead and do that. Or request a new one from which provider do you have?

0 Likes