Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Lollipop Update Problems
ShanaK
Contributor - Level 2

The update is designed to auto install if at any point you hit the install

later button.

The only thing you seem to be able to do to keep it from installing is to

fill up your phones memory since the lollipop update is pretty massive.

I wish I had been smart enough to know in the beginning not to install this

latest p.o.s. update.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can understand how frustrating it can get when you keep getting the software notification mikjohns. I regret to inform there is not a way to stop the notification all together. However, you may select update later. This will provide you with a clock pop up. If you select a time like 1 or 2 am, you will no longer receive the updates for the remaining of the day. However, if you do not wish to download the software, make sure you do not select install automatically. That way you will only receive the notification once every morning and not all day.

Thank You,

MichelleS_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
garyhammes
Enthusiast - Level 1

Truly unbelievable. To release this update is reprehensible and insulting to Verizon customers. I have tried every fix suggested and to no avail. Essentially my S4 is now a piece of junk. I will be canceling my contract with Verizon and change carrier.

Tidbits
Legend

Make sure you don't buy Samsung. I heard all these problems are happening around the world, and the only company that can fix it is Samsung.

0 Likes
pstreck1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I also heard on the interwebs that there was a unicorn sighting in Indiana over the weekend J

They can roll it back. If a kid on craigslist can do it remotely for $30, certainly Verizon can do it. I don’t want to spend $30 and void my warranty because I trust a kid on Craigslist more than Verizon at this point.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

That kid charging you $30 uses a program and voids all if any warranty and that kid doesn't disclose it. Also if he bricks your phone you'll probably have fun and spend more money to even get anything back from him.

Verizon will not roll back anything and are in agreement with Samsung to not do so as well. This is a Samsung policy around the world. Samsung set it up where you can't roll back and keep warranty.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I also want to add it's up to SAMSUNG to fix. Verizon has no source code and doesn't modify the code. This has been proven countless times. People in the US like to blame carriers because it's an easier point of contact. Europe blame the manufacturer and they seem to get far better support than we do. Manufacturers LOVE you.

0 Likes
pstreck1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would like to think (hope) that the armies of lawyers have included clauses about marketability, breach of contract and exclusions for issues that can materially affect Verizon’s business in their agreements.

As an aside, Google recently updated their Maps. It works well but instead of saying minutes remaining; the voice s/w mispronounces it and says minute(s) (as in small). Comical but it speaks volumes to the amount of testing and review that doesn’t go into these updates.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Lawyers and judges already concluded in our courts since the G1 and going forward no carrier has ever lost because they do not specifically touch the code. Manufacturers sell a set of options that carriers pick from.  From that point forward all the work is done by the manufacturer. All these 5.0.X problems are documented by Google and it's in the base code. 5.1.X fixed a lot of those issues. The manufacturers have been under a lot of pressure to deliver updates on a "timely" manner they pushed out 5.0.X as quickly as possible to appease a lot of their user base. People are going to switch carrier by the same brand 99% of the time and get the same thing. You'll find it on other carriers.