Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Lollipop Update Problems
TheNatural
Contributor - Level 1

LOL, "entirely illogical" .....that statement makes no sense.

"Verizon is responsible for their customers’ experience and whatever happens in their supply chain is not the customer’s problem." That's like saying you're not responsible for ruining your own experience with your smartphone based on a 3rd party app that is causing issues with you not being able to make calls since Lollipop hasn't yet optimized for that application. You see my point but yet you still don't agree. Then what the hell do you call when you pay a carrier like StraightTalk $500 for an iPhone 5 under prepay service, are you not paying for a PRODUCT and SERVICE?! They sure do provide tech support and activation support. You crack me up.......

BTW, I have spoken with a friend of mine who works at Samsung and is part of their R&D Team who is trying to drive down these Lollipop issues (we talk on a daily basis) and she is definitely NOT blaming Verizon (or ANY carrier) for all the issues with Lollipop.....as it is not the network nor the product that is inferior. Verizon released the update for the greater good as it didn't literally effect let's say the 15 million Samsung Galaxy S5 owners' user experience or else your "unequivocal NO update" wouldn't have gone out. This has NOTHING to do with bad testing on Verizon's part. You're putting too much stock on this "experience" you talk about. I can definitively guarantee you that Samsung as the leading Android smartphone maker will NEVER be toppled by LG, HTC, Motorola, etc. regardless of what Verizon wants to advertise.....there is no hidden sales agenda there. You're not helpless as a customer.....only at the moment when you throw all and any personal responsibility out the window. Let me just blame Verizon for my Galaxy S6 coming with a ugly white charging cable that's going to get dirty over time. Why isn't my charging cable the color black like my phone!?!? Gosh, Verizon sucks!!

Verizon's network, products and services work for me 99% of the time in a lot of places. When they don't I know how to fix my own problems and not jump to blaming the carrier whether its an update, data usage issues, not being able to send out a text, etc.

I wish I had such high expectations, then others can disappoint me on a daily basis and I would never be pleased with most things in life.

0 Likes
pstreck1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Oh so now it's a 3rd party app causing the issue?

My point about byod was referring to service only providers. Verizon is a

different model as are the major providers that provide/subsidize/sell the

hardware. Verizon pushed the update. Certainly a much more relevant

comparison than Costco and Cadillac.

So it's a priority for Samsung but not a widespread issue/complaint?

My personal responsibility? Not my update or choice! My only personal

responsibility here is to the contract I agreed to. If my phone worked like

this when I bought it, it would have been returned.

I admire your position defending something that thousands of people on this

site alone are complaining about but a personal jab about what I'm

satisfied with in life is totally irrelevant. This phone was really great

and now it's not for the reasons discussed. I've been with Verizon for over

20 years because their coverage and service is good.

My phone came with a black charger but the white one I bought is still

clean Smiley Happy Thanks for your concern though.

So in retort to your personal jab I would suggest getting back to the

programing or whatever it is you do for Verizon Smiley Happy

TheNatural
Contributor - Level 1

Your notion that Verizon is fully responsible for the customer experience of a device and software update is quite ludicrous. Funny you just assume I work for them, we'll just agree to disagree.....although have fun on Fantasy Island for me!!

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

The oem prepares the OTA but it doesn't push unless the carrier authorizes it. While the carrier could claim responsibility ends at the cellular radio interface, it is responsible for the customer experience. The carrier needs to push for better regression testing, and probably a beta program should be initiated where people are selected to heavily stress test a candidate in partnership with the oem and the carrier. Google should also be held to a higher standard here.

stef7
Master - Level 2

Continuing because my Swype is broken under lollipop... The carrier should be able to demand immediate attention be applied to serious bugs. The oems should a supply tools for reverting back to a previous version without t tripping warranty flags. The carrier needs to have expertise in its corporate stores for using these tools. The update should be able to be dismissed easily once. Google, the oem, the carrier need to provide clear and unambiguous instruction on how to perform a successful upgrade involving a factory data reset...

stef7
Master - Level 2

The carrier should get replacement devices that are new from the oem to provide to users whose devices cannot be flashed to the new rev and demonstrate proper behaviour. The customer should be released from contact without penalty if the device cannot be restored to proper operation. There is a lot that could be done. The poems need to do a better job, and both the oem and carrier need to make upgrades on a slower timeline, and this includes Google getting it right before its released. The whole of the Android update paradigm needs to be rethought. Customers need to be protected.

ShanaK
Contributor - Level 2

Unfortunately, no one really give a crap once they get your money.

And Verizon, basically disowns you once they send you to the manufacturer for the devices to be repaired. They don't tell you that part though. And of course they won't give you any information on the forced mediation/arbitration it seems as well.

(6 Months- no fully functional phone, 3- Verizon Replacements, 100 point Certified Like-New Replacement from Verizon- ARRIVED broken Verizon told me to send it to Samsung *Now Verizon's done because I did what I was told* Samsung is on their 2nd repair on the device and admitting the device is broken but not what broke it. All the while I'm still paying a Verizon bill.)

stef7
Master - Level 2

This is why there needs to be legislation to protect consumers. The whole model needs to change.

pstreck1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Can now pull my battery in 3 seconds while driving. Thanks for the

practice.

In all seriousness, is there not a lawyer who wants to start a class action

suit over this debacle? Let the lawyers figure out whether it's Verizon or

Samsung.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
ShanaK,

We are here for you! We definitely want to see you with a working device. Have you received your device from Samsung? If your line is not in use currently, you can certainly suspend the line temporarily, until you get your device back. Click for details on how to suspend your line http://www.verizonwireless.com/mobile-living/network-and-plans/suspend-reconnect-verizon-wireless-se...

SandyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes