Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Lollipop Update Problems
Tidbits
Legend

Just like in Europe... Difference anything phone related they blame the manufacturer. Yes they even have bloatware which isn't uninstallable unless you meet your contract terms or buy outright from an outlet. They also have carrier testing for network connectivity. 6 years shows Europe doing it right if you want their results... Just saying.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Go to any other carrier around the world and SAME thing WILL happen. You will be carrier hopping for the rest of your life...

ShanaK
Contributor - Level 2

Well, Verizon's Certified Like-New phone is on it's way back to me.

Apparently Samsung repair had to replace quite a few parts and components

and LCD.

Apparently, It was not as Like-New as I was told.

Tidbits
Legend

like new isn't new...

You'll get the same results still with any other carrier.  Refurbs or like new whatever anyone wants to call them are always the same.

0 Likes
TheNatural
Contributor - Level 1

And I look at life a little more complicated. Verizon does give you a choice over the upgrade. I know plenty of people with the Galaxy S5 who weren't forced by the update where they just woke up one day and bam Lollipop had ruined their phone..... If you actually read your Customer Agreement you'll realize Verizon is not responsible for software updates and the negative effects because they are NOT the one's that implement and develop your painfully SLOW fix. What's even more ingenuous is to believe and assume Verizon can fix all these "known" problems.

All Verizon can do is report these issues to Samsung so they can work and push out an update. Oh my god it is simply that simple.......

0 Likes
pstreck1
Enthusiast - Level 3

So verizon has no say over the upgrade? No beta testing or validation, no

verizon specific code in the upgrade package? Samsung just hijacks

Verizon's upgrade process and Verizon has no say in the matter?

I'm sure Verizon needs Samsung and/or Google for some or most of fixing

whatever the problem is. My beef, like most people is that Verizon forced

an update to it's customers that wasn't anywhere near ready.

Does every Samsung product running lollipop have the same issue? I'd be

very surprised if the shiny new s6 has the same issues.

Your explanation lacks any practical common sense and sounds more like a

Verizon software engineer making excuses.

I, like most here believe the people I pay for products and services are

responsible for the quality of their product or service. Whatever Verizon's

supply chain looks like is part of them running their business; not my

problem. If there was an update to cell towers that caused problems with

service, would verizon say, "Sorry, company X is responsible for those

towers, call them to fix the problem?"

I'm sure Verizon's business is complicated. That's why I pay them what I

do.

TheNatural
Contributor - Level 1

Okay, douche.....

0 Likes
pstreck1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I love mindless banter. Thanks

TheNatural
Contributor - Level 1

Yes you evidently pay Verizon for the phone as well. Although think about the carrier as Costco, you buy a new Cadillac from them at a discount because you are a member of course and you save $5,000 on your purchase. The carrier is like a gas station and also provides you with basic maintenance just like Costco does where you can fill up and get an oil change, etc. If you have a problem with the Cadillac and you fail an emissions test within the first year of owning it are you going to take it to Costco or stop by the dealership so a Certified Technician can fix it? I know it can't compare 100% to the wireless industry although that's a pretty close analogy.

All carries will implement their own codes for their own apps and any network services. And yes, there is extensive testing done on the services you pay for. Although carries focus on what you ACTUALLY pay for.....which is a network and the ability for calls, text and data. This is what they are going to focus on, not so much a WiFi issue or battery performance due to a software update.....Samsung engineers and developers are responsible for that.

An update or fix to a cell tower that negatively impacted customers would be Verizon's responsibility and they would credit someones account for that. Although a software update which caused someone to use more of their data plan in one month because their WiFi is slow and unable to stay connected does not warrant a credit (shocking I know.) Carries are going to focus on software related issues with calls, text and data because that's a service they want to continue to guarantee. There's a form of planned obsolescence within any smartphone manufacturer & model, but why Samsung decided to ruin and plague the Galaxy S5 with so many problems even before it's one year infancy beats me.......Verizon already waited long enough to release the update, if they held on any longer people would be up in arms about it nonetheless saying Verizon sucks for taking so long.

I have the Galaxy S6 and it runs phenomenal and I also own a Galaxy Note 3 which has been running great even from Kitkat to now Lollipop. I've also owned a Galaxy S3 which ran great for over 2 years without any major problems......ALL on Verizon. I don't blame Verizon, Samsung released an update on 3/30/15 to address a lot of these issues and they still can't get it right on the S5. Samsung has snowballed the Galaxy S5 into a major train wreck and its their job to fix it. End of story.

0 Likes
pstreck1
Enthusiast - Level 3

If I paid Costco a membership fee with the understanding they would provide me a discount and they did not; then I’d have a problem. ’m not paying Costco for the Cadillac, I’m paying them for access to the discount. I’m actually paying Verizon for the service AND product, hence the contract commitment. Use PagePlus as an example. I pay them for service (on VZW towers) for my daughter; I know they have no product tech support and any issue with the device is my problem. They provide a service only. If I buy a phone outside of a provider, I know the retailer isn’t going to help me with service, activation or coverage; I get the retailer return policy and manufacturer warranty, that’s it. There’s no upgrades or ongoing service commitment or obligation. The big providers do both product and service; it’s entirely illogical to try and say otherwise by drawing analogies to Costco and GM.

Verizon has done well over the years with service and coverage etc. Whatever software testing that was done in this case clearly should have led to an unequivocal NO, the update is not ready for release. Whether it was inadequate testing, a drive towards planned obsolescence, LEAN principles or whatever; Verizon remains accountable for the experience their customers are paying for.

How many S6 phones has Verizon sold solely because customers upgraded due to software problems with the S5? Whether it was bad code from Samsung, bad testing by Verizon or whatever; it is very convenient that it’s taking them longer to fix it than it would take to release a new phone or rewrite the code from scratch. Just saying.

I can’t disagree that Samsung has a major role here; where we differ is that I, like most feel Verizon is responsible for their customers’ experience and whatever happens in their supply chain is not the customer’s problem.

Remember, Verizon has a very heavy hand in which families of products they actively market and sell. If LG were to offer them a sweeter deal next month (or even fewer complaints and defectors), you’d see a whole lot more LG (or Moto, HTC etc) billboards and commercials. Verizon is not the helpless victim here; it’s customers are.