Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Lollipop Update Problems
Tidbits
Legend

Problem with the car analogy... Manufacturers PAY for repairs. My father owned a dealership for 30 years which is part of the warranty agreement. It's easier to fix said car than to replace the whole car. You are comparing Apples to pineapples.

Tidbits
Legend

You were not clarifying common sense. You were comparing unrelated items to justify what you think should happen when the rest of the world doesn't do it that way and get support like the way you want. You want someone to do it for you instead of doing it yourself. That's why a lot of things in our country is broken.

itsanewlife
Enthusiast - Level 1

my sister in law told me to avoid the update, as it made her work S5 run hot, drain battery and jump back and forth randomly with blue tooth/ not. unfortunately I updated not thinking it was the awful update she meant. Now my battery last half as long and it sometimes blanks out while on FB. I just got this phone in November and was really happy until now. After reading all of this/ok not every one-I am very disappointed in Verizon, why can this not be taken care of? Was draining the battery an upgrade goal? Should have went with the Iphone perhaps.... any status on this Verizon?

buzzeswoman2008
Contributor - Level 3

i was wondering the same thing...ive had my phone since december...i wish i could trade it for the droid turbo...that one hasn't had issues.

0 Likes
Mikegam
Enthusiast - Level 1

Folks all you need to do is do a Google search on how to downgrade from Lollipop to Kit Kat , there are several websites out there to help you. I used one and am now happy to report I am using Android 4.4.4 on my S5, Yes it occasionally asks me if I want to update , I just say no and move on.

So to answer , YES   there is a way to go back to Kit Kat.

ShanaK
Contributor - Level 2

If you downgrade it voids any and all warranty.

So it's a toss up, you can downgrade to kitkat on your own. But at a risk.

Or you can deal with a jacked up phone but retain some resemblance of help that some people pay for.

Kerey
Enthusiast - Level 1

The struggle is real!  I updated today -- not knowing of any of these problems.  The frustrating part is that I have been a loyal Verizon customer for years and today, I'm not sure I will stay unless I can get some sort of patch for the sound issues I'm having.  Tell me, what is the point in having a phone if you don't know you are receiving a call, text, e-mail, etc?  My phone sounds, after the update, like it is under water or that someone is sitting on it when it rings or notifies.  It is distorted and extremely muted--even when all volume controls are on maximum.  So, since I use my phone as my alarm clock in the mornings (because if power goes out, my phone is reliable enough to make it through the night on its battery), this, too, adds to my frustration.  There is NO WAY I will hear it go off.  I am highly frustrated!  I spend all this money each month for the service and pay it on time . . . and now my phone is nearly useless because I won't know when it rings or notifies.  So, I hope no one needs to "talk" to me right away or that no one cares that I'm late to work.  UGH!  FRUSTRATED!

ShanaK
Contributor - Level 2

Good luck getting any help out of Verizon. All they do is point the finger at the manufacturer. Samsung today sent me on a 3 hour drive to get my phone reflashed at the Samsung Experience Store. Being a chemo patient made this ten times worse and I informed the m and asked repeatedly if a reflash would fix my phone.  I get there and Samsungs own people laugh at me and inform me they dont do any support or repairs anymore and Samsung knows it. Great rip off Verizon and Samsung have going.

OakWoods
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just got rid of a Motorola Droid that Verizon/Motorola did this same thing to and made the same excuses over.  Phone was great, then a major Android version update was pushed to the phone which made the phone permanently so slow that it was difficult to even answer a call.  I reset it to defaults multiple times, even ran it out of the box with zero apps added, no luck-- the phone was a useless and nothing but excuses from Verizon.

I just bought an S5 a couple of months ago so I could have a phone that I could actually answer calls on and so far love the S5.   But now every time I look at my phone it has the popup asking if i want to update now or at X time later today.  Eventually I'll be forced to update and I suspect that will be it for this phone being usable.

I like my phone just the way it is. Why is Verizon/Samsung/Google forcing me to update to a newer OS?   That's the real question, not who is behind it.   And since these updates roll out by carrier, not model, Verizon does have control over this.   I do NOT want and new features or gadgets.  I just want my phone to  function as it does right now.. nothing more, nothing less.

After 448 posts, does Verizon still think these are just minor isolated issues by stupid customers installing too many or bad apps?   Why is Verizon not screaming at Samsung to STOP if it's Samsung that's doing this!!!    Are we expected to believe that Verizon Wireless has no influence over Samsung??  Really?

If I bought a car that ran for 2 months, then the dealer forcibly did a software update and suddenly the windows took 3 minutes to roll down/up, the car wouldn't go over 25 MPH or more than 50 miles on a tank of gas, would Verizon find that acceptable???   So why does Verizon think it's OK to do the equivalent of that to our phones?  

Now here's something to ponder --- Why is it (at least in my personal experience) two phones in a row had software updates forced on them immediately AFTER the new model of those phones was released???   Coincidence?  Or a way to push people to buy the new model?  Lollipop update rolled out in Feb then stopped because of issues.  The issues are still there, but they started the updates again AFTER the S6 hit the shelves.

Here's hoping this isn't going to trash my 2 month old  phone.

bumboola
Enthusiast - Level 2

I originally installed part one of the two part update in early February. While it was downloading I came across this thread and never ended up installing lollipop, was 100% happy with kitkat 4.4.4.  It was always easy to say "no thanks" when my phone asked me to update to lollpop and this only happened about once a week or less. Well, I was finally "auto updated" (BOC4) a couple of days ago expecting all sorts of problems with the phone. Much to my surprise, the phone works very well, battery life is about the same as before (excellent), never gets hot and no wifi problems at all. The only "bug" that bothered me was the auto brightness function, worked beautifully with kitkat but not so well with lollipop. The display was far too dim in low light conditions so I turned it off and set it to a brightness level that seems to works well under all light conditions (about 60%). Maybe I just got lucky or maybe a clean install of only the newer version did the trick, but overall I'm very happy with lollipop and I really like some of its new features.