Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Lollipop Update Problems
pstreck1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks. I can now defer updates.

0 Likes
Mudster
Enthusiast - Level 2

That's not what I want to hear.  I don't want any update at this point.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

What method will you be using to defer the update indefinitely?

0 Likes
Mudster
Enthusiast - Level 2

No method.  It came up with a message that I had an update to install.  I had 2 options, do it then or later.   I choose later and the box that said automatic as not checked.  I was/am hoping that I can just keep saying later and it won't force me. 

sugark5710
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have done EVERYTHING possible to correct the problem and NOTHING WORKS.  I REFUSE to do another factory reset which creates A LOT OF ADDITIONAL PROBLEMS for me and I'm at my LIMIT FOR PROBLEMS WITH MY PHONE.  CORRECT MY ISSUE WITH AN UPGRADED PHONE or STOP talking.  This is not customer service.  The UPDATE does NOT work.  End of discussion.  If I do not have what I consider to me a resolution of my problem, I will be discontinuing my 8 years as a Verizon Wireless customer and going elsewhere.  Verizon Wireless Customer Support Verizon Wireless Admin

thumperfig
Enthusiast - Level 2

I agree

Brian Andrewswww.OakRidgeChurch.com

0 Likes
ShanaK
Contributor - Level 2

According to Customer Support.... They are talking to Samsung..... crossing their fingers and hope people stop calling in with problems.

I have gone through 2 phones now on Lollipop.

1. 1st phone went through everything you mentioned.

2. Verizon replaced with a refurbished downgraded phone. (I had kitkat for a blessed month?)

3. Their phone auto upgraded.

4. Now I'm back at 1.

Battery is terrible

Wifi is good for nothing.

The data service is good for nothing.

Everything is going down the tubes.

What did Samsung support say....... Give it a few days......

.......I did with the first phone and it didn't do me any good.

So now, I have to wait the time, then do another Hard Reset if it doesn't fix..... We all know what good that will do.

Then get back on support because the phone is unusable.

(So glad I moved to Verizon. NOT)

Mikegam
Enthusiast - Level 1

There is a way to go from Lollipop back to Kit Kat , you just need to do a google search, I found 2 websites that walk you through each step. And am happy to report I am back on 4.4.4 on my S 5.

0 Likes
cioondemand
Enthusiast - Level 2

Mudster - I tried just saying "later".  Worked for a while.  One evening I picked up my phone to check messages and noticed it had started an auto-download.  I killed the download, but got a message saying "Auto download will restart automatically".  Tech Support told me the only way to keep the update from downloading and installing automatically was to keep wifi turned off.  Bit the bullet and did the update to the latest version.  Still have the battery drain, contacts crashing, etc.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

JBHall2012
Enthusiast - Level 3

I do know from my own and son's experiences that Lollipop does do a lot of heavy indexing of what is stored on your phone for the first two to three days regardless (the more files stored, the longer it takes) which obviously chews up battery. However, once that is done, your phone should settle down and go back to the way it operated before Lollipop.

In my own case, my phone continued to be a personal hand warmer after three days. I finally bit the bullet after a week and a half of this behavior, did a backup and a factory reset. After that, my phone was fine.

Since then, Verizon has issued another update around the first of April 2015 that supposed fixed these issues. Not sure if it did, but now my phone says about every 2 to 5 minutes that Amazon or Contacts have stopped. Big white dialog box in the center of the screen with an OK in the bottom right hand corner. The phone halts until that dialog is cleared.  Very annoying. Sounds like it may require another factory reset.  ** sigh **