Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Lollipop Update Problems
stef7
Master - Level 2

yeah, unfortunately, doing a FDR is one of the solutions. some people can and have updated on top of KK without doing an FDR, but it's not a perfect 100% path to success with lollipop. with android, it simply isn't for a major update. the manufacturer, nor the carrier, nor Google is going to tell you this is so.

your situation is not unique in this regard. look at the other threads.

so you are going to be hassled - so many others are also. you are in good company. doesn't matter the carrier really. to some lesser or more degree, a population of users when taking an upgrade, specially a major upgrade will have to perform a FDR. simple as that.

you could try a low-level cache clear.

-or-

if you are still under warranty, you could get a replacement, if it comes with KK continue to defer, or perform an FDR on it and then take the update. you'll still have to migrate your content over to a replacement phone.

-or-

you could perform an FDR after backing up your content.

-or-

you could attempt to run the software upgrade assistent and put the update on your device that way (I think that essentially does an FDR). so you'd have to back up your important content on a PC, and write down email settings, etc.

-or-

you could live with the issues until another update is provided, but then, you might have to do an FDR at that time to get that update to work properly.

-or-

you could buy a new phone and set that all up.

-or-

you could leave and experience problems setting that phone up...

lmoravick
Enthusiast - Level 3
I am having the same issue.  Battery drains like a siv.  Not fun.  Makes work very difficult since it only last for about 4 to 5 hours and if on battery saver, which goes off when charging, I may get 1 hour more.  With this in mind, I am making NO calls, NO game playing, NO Bluetooth, only looking at emails that come in.  So, having at 75% is lucky, I am down to 37% by my lunch.  I used to be able to only charge at night, if I remembered, if I didn't, there was still life in the morning.  Now, I am out of juice by 4:30pm.  Can't even get through a work day.  😞Nope, NOT happy at all
joosujin
Enthusiast - Level 2

So am I.  The battery drains so fast and cannot last a day.  It could last more than a day, for sure, before the Lollipop update.  Also, it gets warmer even when I don't use the phone that much, which leads to the battery drainage issue, I guess.  How can I go back to Kitkat?  Do I need to go to a customer service center to request an exchange with a one with Kitkat?  Who's responsible for all this, VWZ, Google, or Samsung?

lmoravick
Enthusiast - Level 3

100% charged at 8:00am from 0%.  10:50am, 51%.  Uninstalled any and all game apps.  Used Clean Sweep app  to  clean any and all apps using too much juice and keep phone cooler. Guess that didn't help for battery life.  Phone is cooler.

lmoravick
Enthusiast - Level 3

100% charged at 8:00am from 0%.  10:50am, 51%.  Uninstalled any and all game apps.  Used Clean Sweep app  to  clean any and all apps using too much juice and keep phone cooler. Guess that didn't help for battery life.  Phone is cooler.

FYI: Have not used phone at all.  No phone calls, no games, nothing.

0 Likes
pstreck1
Enthusiast - Level 3

So I'd like to pose a question to those who might be more legal types: If a

company were to repeatedly release (and fail to correct or allow downgrades

of) faulty upgrades that happened to coincide with the release of a new

pricey flagship product; could that result in a class action claim for

those who decided to pay for upgraded phone rather than deal with repeated

phone wipe etc troubleshooting suggestions that came out of the faulty

upgrade? It's pretty obvious at this point that whatever testing they may

have done before releasing Lollipop was an absolute joke.

As I recall I wound up upgrading to the s5 because an upgrade killed my s4

and my wife upgraded to the s4 because of an upgrade to the s3.

I can't swear to the timing but it would certainly be interesting to look

into as a really deceitful way to sell more phones while blaming

Google/Samsung and 3rd party apps.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
We certainly don't want you to cancel service due to device functionality issues. We appreciate all the steps you have tried so far and we want to help find a solution. Have you tried a backup and reset to see if that resolves the lagging problem?

SheritaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
Mudster
Enthusiast - Level 2

Quick overview.  Got the Lollipop update.  Killed my phone in a lot of ways, did 3 different factory resets then wifi didn't work. So, got a new phone sent that had KitKat and it's been back to a solid phone.  Last night got a notice of update.  I just said later and had to pick a time of tomorrow morning at 1am. It's not automatic.  So I guess now I am stuck once a day getting this and saying later.  It better not automatically update.  I love my  phone now but that love is not including Lollipop (at least how it stands on Verizon and the S5).

Snn5
Legend

The phone will eventually automatically install the update.

0 Likes
lmoravick
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am disappointed in your response.  Lagging time???????  That is not the problem, so I am guessing you did NOT read responses as to what is going on.  BATTERY, DEVICE GETTING HOT.  within 1 hr of 100% full, battery is at 75%, phone is hot within 15mins.  So, please try again with your answer, because you didn't even come close.

Thank you.