Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Lollipop Update Problems
jtodd76
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the clarification, Sherita.

0 Likes
sugark5710
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having serious problems since the roll out of Lollipop.  I have already done a factory reset of my phone which was a huge PAIN.  Didn't fix the problem.  I've also done the reboot, pulled the battery, wiped my cache, etc.  The issues that are most prevalent are (in ranking order)  (1)  active phone calls disappearing, i.e., the screen showing the caller disappears.  Therefore, if I want to minimize and look for something on my phone, cannot do that.  I also cannot change how I want to communicate with the caller such as speaker phone, mute the call.  Why?  Because I CANNOT SEE THE CALL.  (By the way, I'm typing in all CAPS to VERIZON WIRELESS, not you).  (2)  Wi-Fi connectivity is sketchy.  Works sometimes, doesn't work other times.  (3)  Lock screen password entry is SLOWER than molasses.  It's a good second before the phone responds to the first number in the password.  (4)  Battery gets hot very quickly.  (5)  Alarms don't respond to touch so it's impossible to turn them off without RESTARTING THE PHONE.

Please respond VERIZON WIRELESS.  If anyone has had success in correcting the problems please let me know.  Thanks a bunch. Verizon Wireless Customer Support

caecilia97
Contributor - Level 1

If you're installing all of the exact same apps over again, you won't be able to tell which ones are messing up your phone. After a factory reset due to issues, you should probably just install a couple at a time, with a few days in between, to make sure you can see which one is causing the problem (and NOT install it!).

jtodd76
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello...I would definitely check 3rd party software like Caecilia97 suggested. Especially the cleaning software such as all-in-one cleaner or clean master. Remove any apps you are not using or won't ever use for starters but definitely remove any app that cleans memory and supposedly helps your phone run faster. I've found those are causing a lot of issues. Did you get the latest release of Lollipop on April 2nd? Verizon released a better version recently.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
sugark5710,

I definitely understand your frustration. It looks like you have done a lot of troubleshooting on your own already. When you performed the hard reset did you test the phone out  before adding back the 3rd party apps?

You mentioned that the active call is disappearing when on a call. When this happens is the call disconnected? If you tap the top of the screen and scroll down does it show the call there?

JohnB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
sugark5710
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks caecilia97.  Just an FYI.  I had no problems whatsoever with any apps on my phone before the Lollipop installation.  I also don't install apps that I deem suspicious.  I use FB, IG and Twitter mostly and I have a banking app.  My phone is not loaded with games, etc.  I also use Spotify.  That's about it.  So I'm really not sure that it is an app problem.  Instead I definitely believe it is an operating system problem.

sugark5710
Enthusiast - Level 2

THanks @jtodd76.  I have no third-party apps on my phone such as those you suggested.  I also updated my phone to the latest release of Lollipop and this hasn't corrected the problems that I have been experiencing.  I'm about ready to pitch the phone and the service to be honest.  Verizon Wireless Customer Support

sugark5710
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your response.  I have very few third party apps on my phone.  FB, IG, Twitter, Banking app.  I would think that if these apps caused problems now, they would have caused problems before.  They did not.  My issues all started with the installation of Lollipop.  Never had a problem before.  With regard to the issue with the caller, I cannot see the caller at all.  The call is not disconnected but I cannot do anything with the call because I cannot see the call whatsoever.  So the answer is no, I cannot see the call at the top of the screen or when I scroll down.  This started happening with Lollipop.  I'm about ready to pitch the phone and the service because I'm really not getting resolution to the issue.  If a factory reset doesn't correct the problem, what would?  Verizon Wireless Customer Support

jtodd76
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have another question....When you remove the back and take the battery out for 30 seconds or so, then turn it back on, does it seem to run better for a while? Then gradually start getting worse? Wondering if it's a memory problem you have? I'm still dealing with mine as well and I'm sure I'll eventually downgrade the software back to KitKat. I use FB Messenger a lot and it's painfully slow! Maybe I should just buy the Galaxy S6! Ha

Apple_Jacks0408
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree!  I purchased this particular phone (S5), because of the KK, & the specs from VZW support, After my S3 randomly died. (which I NEVER had any problems with) One would expect, after paying $750+ for a new phone, to at least receive a device worthy of the price.. I  constantly have to completely take my battery out to "unfreeze" it, and every night, last night (or while asleep) it was 4:46 am that my phone FROZE. Every night it happens, and renders my alarm useless. If you don't install the update, all you get is constant pop up reminders, along with the already annoying ADS that are on the phone itself?! Why? Never in my life have I been so disappointed in a product or Verizon. (I promise I'm not one to ever complain!) I do feel the need for this issue to be addressed as well as informing people, the day you purchase your KK S5, you will be annoyed until you update to the dreadful lollipop.

We almost changed providers. (I'm not the only one & you're driving loyal customers away & to equally, if not better competitors!) Get a clue! You're no longer the top dog & it's Us loyal customers who keep Verizon in business. Appreciate each one of us please?

There shouldn't be a problem with apps from Google Play "that interfere with the lollipop," maybe the problem is in the update?! LoL  We pay so much for our devices, the least Verizon could do, is let us have the freedom to do what we wish with them, to customize our OWN lifestyles & needs. People who made the mistake and updated, can't revert without voiding the warragain, we again, pay for? That's not right!

Sorry - Yet Sincerely,

Upset VZW Customer since Alltel