Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Lollipop Update Problems
Gemini63
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've got to laugh. The directions say "use your phone as normal" in step 3,

but then it says keep your screen at 20% or less... um, unless I'm in a

dimly lit room, I can't SEE the screen at 20%.

And how about for us non-techies out there... "System wipe cache clear" -

greek (or geek) to me! No idea what or where my "smart net switch" is, and

a "battery rebuild recharge" program... nope. No idea! (okay so - did

already do the cache clear, but only b/c I dug around on other forums).

I went to a Verizon Wireless store (admittedly not a corporate one) and the

guy was like "yup, lots of problems with the update." Yeah Verizon! Thanks

for your help!

On a positive note, uninstalling the evil Facebook Messenger seemed to

help, and for some reason, Groupon was using almost as much battery as

Android OS (which is the MAIN battery sucker). So I uninstalled it. Also -

I turn of WiFi when I'm not trying to actually connect to a network, and I

turn off location services unless I need them (thus returning my phone to

where my S3 was... grrr - I liked the "power saving" location mode, but now

even that drains my battery).

Okay - I will go searching for more help, in English not geek-speak (next

they'll ask us to "root" our phones to fix the problem).

First, delete any unused apps and what unneeded apps can’t be deleted

should be shut down! Also recheck your remaining apps for current update to

work with 5.0 and there usage settings.

Second, do a "System Wipe cache clear". This will improve your battery life

cycle in a 2 to 3 days and at the same time remove certain 5.0 problems

(not all). The good thing about the Wipe cache is that no needed files are

deleted as in doing a factory data reset.

Third, install a very good app that will save you even more battery power.

This app can be found at the Google Play Store, “Snapdragon BatteryGuru.”

This battery program will require 4 to 7 day to fully learn your phone use

habits so continue to use your phone in a normal manner. Also keep your

Screen lighting at a maximum of 20 % and do not use Auto level mode. Turn

off your Smart Net Switch setting but again continue to use your device as

normal as possible.

Forth, When the first 2 to 3 day period has passed then do a battery

rebuild charge program ( but only if needed) which will restore your

battery to almost like new condition. After following and doing all of the

above your phone’s battery life should be normal or perhaps even somewhat

longer life cycles than before.

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 12:53 AM, GalaxyClass <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

I agree with you that the average phone owner/user should not need a degree in electrical engineering to use a phone. But let's face it the companies gave us a bad update and the three suspects are Google, Verizon and Samsung. Now time to point fingers but no one want to be found holding the smoking gun. If you are having S5 battery problems you can try to correct some of this yourself as no other help is being offered. And normal is not removing all your apps and turning down screen lighting...but this will get your phone back into or perhaps better battery life than before 5.0. At that point you can again begin to add on apps and return your phone closer to the pre-5.0 install condition. It's your call and what a person wants, I will be glad to work with you on this as time will allow as will other forum members.  Thank you for your reply.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
We want your phone to be working properly crystalce58! Updates are suppose to improve your phone not make it a paperweight.  What is your current make/model of your device?  What specific issues are you experiencing?  AmberF_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
crystalce58,  Look no further help is here! When you are prompted to update you can decline the update and it will postpone it for 24 hours. However, after the 24 hours it will prompt you to update the phone. There is no option to postpone it indefinitely.  JohnB_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
Somestupidguy

I also have experienced the same problems, Wifi connectivity, App freezing, device heating up - cool down mode, poor battery performance etc. All of the forums have many users reporting the same problems with the Lolipop update. Please stop telling everyone to perform useless tasks that have not corrected the problem.  Get us a fix or allow a restore of the Kit Kat OS.

0 Likes
jabjones3

My phone Samsung Galaxy S5 did two updates a couple of days ago. Since then it's slugish. Takes forever to open apps, contacts and google. Will be sitting there and suddenly the Google voice search opens up when phone hasn't been touched. Please help! I loved my phone until the updates.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Hello lindak21!  That doesn't sound like much fun, I'm sorry you're having issues. Do you have an S5 or an S3? Notice any pattern as to what you are completing when the applications crash? The applications that are crashing, do you get a pop up on your screen? Is it always the same applications and how long has this been going on? Please share some details with me, thanks you!   ChristinaB_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
bgwilson

Anyone noticed that Verizon hasn't responded to any of these posts. 

0 Likes
WareAmI
Enthusiast - Level 3

It has been about 6 weeks for me since upgrading to Lollipop, and my phone has stabilized, but the battery life is not back to what it was before, email continues to no longer pinch zoom, I still have trouble sending email, and smart rotation turns itself off now and then. I found that my phone greatly improved after turning off smart networking and uninstalling Facebook and Messenger. I also regularly close apps and reboot my phone daily.

I re-installed Facebook yesterday as a test and immediately my phone got hot and the battery started dropping rapidly. I got rid of it again, and my phone is back to its new "normal" state.

I continue to be frustrated that Verizon caused this issue with the bloatware it added to Lolipop and its refusal to claim ownership and fix it.

0 Likes
pstreck1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Darn, accidentally hit the button. I think they pulled the 2nd half of the

update Smiley Happy b/c I got a message that it would be downloaded when available.

Don't have new UI.

Regardless, Page plus=verizon towers without verizon updates. And it's

cheaper. I don't work for them, I'm just miffed that I'm stuck on a

corporate VZW plan and that I accidentally hit the !"€=%÷ upgrade button.

0 Likes