Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Lollipop Update Problems
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader
0 Likes
mwsilvers
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, the alarm WILL NOT WORK in silent mode. It has nothing to do with Verizon or Samsung. Its a Android lollipop "feature" that's part of the new interrupt scheme. As far as I know there is no work around. Additionally, I believe that notification interrupts are also turned off in silent mode. That means in silent mode you won't get text message and email message notifications. I don't think there is a work around with stock apps although 3rd party apps may be capable of getting around that limitation.

0 Likes
BearJeff
Enthusiast - Level 2

They had better hurry with those fixes to 5.0 or me and many others will be shoving these "lollipop" phones up someone's lolli... and it'll POP!

Markrm01
Enthusiast - Level 2

WiFi issue help: Turing off the smart network switch in WiFi settings did help the battery life, stop the overheating and fixed the WiFi connectivity issues. Hopefully there will be an upcoming fix so that this feature will be usable.

Heart rate monitor light help: Uninstalling Google Fit corrected the issue of the heart rate monitor light staying on when the screen is on. I emailed Google Fit to make them aware of the issue.

I'm still thinking about downgrading back to KitKat. I'm going to give these 2 fixes a try and see how the battery and system performs over the next day or 2 first.

0 Likes
Markrm01
Enthusiast - Level 2

You can uncheck "merge tabs and apps" box under the settings in Chome to fix issue number 4.

0 Likes
Judgemack

I was having problems before the 5.0 upgrade with my wifi constantly connecting to the same hotspot, regardless of where I was, started maybe 2 months ago or so.  The battery would get real hot and I would lose 20% or more per hour.  My solution was to turn wifi off.  Battery usage returned to normal and the battery did not get hot.  I called samsung and they suggested the 5.0 upgrade, which I did.  I still have the same problem.  With wifi on, constant connection and pop-ups saying so, and the battery gets hot.  With it off, no problems with battery life or heat.  I am wondering if there was a wifi upgrade pushed out prior to the 5.0 upgrade, say in late November or December that is giving problems.  Otherwise I can only think there is a hardware problem in the phone.  The constant reconnecting happens at home, work, my workshop, and any other hot spot I can connect to, so it is not my router.  Have re-set all of those that I could.  Like I say, this started end of November or December I think, prior to the 5.0 upgrade.  Anybody else noticing this?

0 Likes
Judgemack

Thanks Mark, I unchecked smart switch, will see how it helps.  Read your post after I posted mine, duh.

0 Likes
actormike
Enthusiast - Level 3

Why are people putting the phone on silent anyway? Blocking mode can be set to be automated between times you select, or manually activated and there is a setting to allow the alarm to work.

This is a case of users not knowing how to properly use the phone, not a problem with the OS.

Summary, use blocking mode, not silent.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

For clarification, blocking mode is now called Interruptions and can be found via Settings > Sound and Notification > Interruptions.  Alarms are always considered priority interruptions.

Megiddo

I downgraded to Kit-Kat 4.4.4.  You can also try unchecking the box "smart network switch".  I have heard that it helps battery life a lot.  If not, I can get you instructions on how to do the downgrade properly.

0 Likes