Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Lollipop Update Problems
kristenstork
Enthusiast - Level 2

No water or damage, it's from the lollipop update and it's really bad. My phone is unusable. When is this going to be fixed?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

kristenstork,

Sorry to hear that your phone has been unusable! What specifically is not working? When was the update completed?

BrianP_VZW
Follow Us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the information kristenstork. I understand your frustration. The new software update was just released, so at this point there aren't any news of another one. In the meantime, follow these steps http://vz.to/1CaPxBN to help speed of phone process. Also, disable http://vz.to/1lmZPeY to help wi-fi.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport 

WareAmI
Enthusiast - Level 3

Dear Verizon - Samsung confirmed on Twitter that Verizon is responsible for pushing out this abysmal update to all of us, so it is your responsibility to fix it. When are you going to step up to the plate, admit your responsibility, and fix this disaster that you created? There are few complaints from anyone on other networks, so you did something to this update that messed it up thoroughly.

Here is Samsung's tweet - Samsung Support USA on Twitter: "@ChristinePilch Your carrier is the one who pushes out updates. We ...

kristenstork
Enthusiast - Level 2

UUpdate was done 2/2. Same issues as every other poster on here. Wi fi constantly connects and drops, phone just opens random apps and I cant do anything with it, it's always hot, even when not charging and the battery goes from 100% to 0% in 3 hours when not being used at all. extremely slow and just isn't usable. I'm out of town on business and can't even have the phone with me because it's dead in less than 3 hours while it's not even being uded. It started doing all of this immediately after updating to lollipop. I thought it was just my phone but after reading all of the other posts here, it seems to be happening to everyone.

kristenstork
Enthusiast - Level 2

TThe wi fi connection is fine. It's just this lollipop update. That's the problem as everyone else has posted the same thing

Bob76
Enthusiast - Level 2

Kristen,

You are by no means alone with respect to the problems you are experiencing.  I and many others ran into quite a few issues when upgrading our S5s to Lollipop, as noted here and elsewhere: sluggishness across the board (opening apps, folders, menu items, etc.), dropped wifi connections, a rapidly depleting battery, slow charging battery, etc. I tried a few of the tricks some suggested, such as wiping the cache, but none had any effect.

Although not crazy about the idea, I realized that the best advice seemed to involve performing a factory reset. After backing up my phone using Samsung Kies as well as Helium, I did the reset. I got my phone back to its previous state, with the Lollipop upgrade intact.  I had to download quite a few applications, re-sign-on for mail, facebook, twitter, etc., as well as redownload my Kindle books. Amazon Music, and Audible audio applications, however, recognized my content stored on my SD card, so all my music and audiobooks were preserved (along with any other data on my SD card).

I have to say that my S5 has performed perfectly since the factory reset. Performance and battery life are as good as they were prior to the upgrade. My humble advice is to perform a factory reset after making sure all your data is backed up. You don't have to backup the applications, since you can easily download them again.

Verizon should establish some baseline advice via a product advisory/bulletin for people considering the Lollipop upgrade. I suspect the right advice might be performing a factory reset prior to the upgrade, although in my and many others's situations, performing the factory upgrade afterward seemed to work out fine.

Good Luck!
Bob

Snn5
Legend

Whoa up.  Samsung made it, Verizon sent it to you.  And, on that note, you took it.

kristenstork
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you Bob. I'm out of town on business so I cant back a lot up but is there a simple way to make sure I don't lose my contacts, etc?

0 Likes
Bob76
Enthusiast - Level 2

Kristen,

Here's a nice summary for how to backup your contacts: How to Back Up Your Contacts with an Android Phone, Gmail or Moborobo.

Bob

0 Likes