Samsung Galaxy S
EliC

Buzz and news regarding the Samsung Galaxy S is increasing significantly. It is being released in multiple parts of the world any day now. Past rumors have said the phone would be comming to all 4 carriers in the US, including Verizon.

This is the phone I want. Its the only phone with the Super AMOLED screen that uses 20% less power and is VISIBLE in the SUN!. Also, it has a new 45nm CPU, which means significantly lower power consumption. These two things will solve my biggest problems with all other smart phones by extending battery life to a usable period and allowing visibility in the sun.

Here is a great review of the phone

Any word on this phone for Verizon? This is the phone I want and am holding out for it.

Key features

• Quad-band GSM and tri-band 3G support
  • 7.2 Mbps HSDPA and 5.76 Mbps HSUPA support
  • 4" 16M-color Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen of WVGA (480 x 800 pixel) resolution
  • Android OS v2.1 with TouchWiz 3.0 UI customization
  • 1GHz Cortex A8 Hummingbird 45nm CPU 
  • 512 MB of RAM
  • 5 MP autofocus camera with face, smile and blink detection
  • 720p HD video recording at 30fps
  • Wi-Fi 802.11 b, g and n support
  • GPS with A-GPS connectivity; Digital compass
  • 8/16GB internal storage, microSD slot
  • Accelerometer and proximity sensor
  • Standard 3.5 mm audio jack
  • microUSB port (charging) and stereo Bluetooth v3.0
  • Stereo FM radio with RDS
  • 1500 mAh Li-Ion battery
  • Great audio quality
  • Slim waistline at only 9.9mm thickness
  • Document editor
  • File manager comes preinstalled
  • Secondary video-call camera
  • Swype predictive text input

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Samsung Galaxy S
Dino019

The Galaxy S is going to be carried by AT&T

0 Likes
EliC

Most rumors seem to indicate that T-mobile will have it first. In addition, all indications are that there will not be an exclusive carrier. It seems more of a question of when, not if, Verizon will get it. My hope is that its sooner rather then later.

0 Likes
gpa111

"GSM"

I wonder if they will make a CDMA version.

Verizon, to me, seems to be the kind of company that would be the ONLY carrier to not have this phone, just because everyone else has it and they want their DROID exclusives.

They are releasing the Droid Extreme soon, and some new handsets soon, It would not stike me as odd if they skipped this one.

Evene thought when I first saw it I had the same conclusions as you, it is a great looking phone, and a good size.

0 Likes
EliC

I hope you are wrong and Verizon doesn't skip this phone. The Xtreme seems interesting based on the little we know about it. However, it lacks the Super AMOLED screen, which I really want. Of course it, the Xtreme, also has a 45nm CPU, which makes it the only other phone coming out that is remotely interesting. I wish they would bundle 1750-2000ish batteries with these things and plan the form factor around a slightly larger battery. I had the Moto Droid and the battery life was so awful I had to return the phone. 

0 Likes
jangmeibit

I am very tired of not having a decent phone for which I'm willing to upgrade... I love Verizon.  I am a loyal customer, but I will be ready to switch if there isn't a better available soon.

0 Likes
tim600sl
Contributor - Level 3

jangmeibit wrote:

I am very tired of not having a decent phone for which I'm willing to upgrade... I love Verizon.  I am a loyal customer, but I will be ready to switch if there isn't a better available soon.

NO DECENT PHONE ON VERIZON?????? What exactly does the term "DECENT" mean to you??? Well if you're thinking that a decent phone would make you coffee in the morning, or kiss you before sleep and sing lullyabies, then yeah, verizon does not have a decent phone.

0 Likes
shipwrestler125
Enthusiast - Level 3

jangmeibit wrote:

What do you call the incredible? the moto droid? I mean if you want an iphone then hop to at&t and have fun not being able to finish a call since they drop calls all the time and the network being down because they cant handle all the data usage. Im pretty sure the incredible is just as good if not better than the iphone, just look at the reviews and comparisons.

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

tim600sl wrote:

jangmeibit wrote:

NO DECENT PHONE ON VERIZON?????? What exactly does the term "DECENT" mean to you??? Well if you're thinking that a decent phone would make you coffee in the morning, or kiss you before sleep and sing lullyabies, then yeah, verizon does not have a decent phone.

Well you know that before Verizon gets their next best on the market phone the EVO is coming out and possibly this phone will go to the GSM carriers.  So the fact that Verizon has had the last two top of the line phones means nothing.  They only have Decent phones as long as they release better phones before anyone else releases something better than what they have. 

Really people.   Verizon has the best Android phone line up.  What do you want from them? 

It is a sad fact of life, especially when that life includes technological devices,  There is always something better just around the corner and in the world of Smartphone even more especially you only get to be top of the heap for a few weeks before someone gets or announces something bigger and badder.  The Droid actually had quite a long run at the top.  If you insist on having the newest and greatest Smartphone technology prepare to spend a lot of money breaking contracts or buying phones at full price because you are going to be bouncing from carrier to carrier phone to phone. 

I'm sorry I know to many of you complaining about the big corporate machine makes you cool but no it just makes you a mosquito.  You think you are making a big stink but all it is is a little buzzz and you think you make a big effect when you leave but it always just ends in a little red bump that is forgotten by the next day.  buzzzzzzz buzzzzzzzz buzzzzzzzz buzzzzzzzz

Verizon addressed their serious lack of smartphones worthy of a look and they did it with a bang.  Ok so the new blackberries haven't proven their salt as much a few of them are solid but the ones they were hoping were the bomb have seemed more like duds though the solid ones are solid and my wife wouldn't switch from her curve if she had to.  Android has been a hit and Verizon appears to be king.  If you are still complaining about the smartphone selection then you just need to win the lottery because that is what it will take to keep you in the newest and best for about 2 years.  Because you will be paying full price every two weeks to some company and then you will notice that Japan and Korea have far cooler and more advanced phones than we will have in the next five years and so you move there so you can follow their market and shortly before you go completely mad you have a momentary flash to where it all began. 

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Verizon announces their version as the Samsung Fascinate

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-facinate-verizons-version-galaxy-s

0 Likes