Re: Samsung Continuum Official upgrade?
johnbg1976

Has anyone tried asking Verizon for a refund on the phone or maybe an early upgrade to a new phone? It's pretty clear that alot of people (myself included) were duped into purchasing what is now a slow, obsolete phone.

When I finally decided to get one of these last year, the only reservation I had was the fact that it shipped with 2.1. But, reading multiple statements assuring consumers that 2.2 was on its way, I went ahead used my upgrade to get the Continuum. Now I am stuck with this thing for two years (I'm not about to drop a few hundred on a new phone). If it weren't such a relatively small amount of money at issue, I would seriously consider a civil action for misrepresentation.

So, if they are really going to withold 2.2, I say the least they can do is give us our money back (well, upgrade in my case).

Anyone try anything like this?

0 Likes
mlaubers

The only recourse that Continuum owners have is to file complaints with the proper agencies.

The Better Business Bureau

https://www.bbb.org/consumer-complaints/file-a-complaint/get-started

The FCC

http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm?id

0 Likes
mlaubers

I also blame Verizon. They are the ones that sold me this phone, not Samsung, and they are the ones that need to support it.

The only recourse that Continuum owners have is to file complaints with the proper agencies.

The Better Business Bureau

https://www.bbb.org/consumer-complaints/file-a-complaint/get-started

The FCC

http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm?id

0 Likes
catts723

At this point, neither company will even respond to requests about froyo being released.  Personally, my phone has also become a theraputic device for my autistic nephew.  Unfortunately, the apps that he needs are requireing 2.2 and above.  I will ttry again calling both verizon and samsung.  I can't be the only person with this problem.  Howeve, I won't allow my nephew to be affected by the corporate stupidity.  Froyo or higher is necessary!!

0 Likes
mrd1

Very VERY upset about this too.  Have Continuum and was promised upgrade "very soon" when I bought the phone last NOVEMBER.  I have contacted Samsung and Verizon Wireless several times regarding this matter.  Purchased 2 desk chargers in anticipation, now they are limited to only a charger.  Getting more furious that now several apps require 2.2 minimum.  I think all owners of this phone should demand money back on phone and accessories requiring the 2.2 upgrade, or VZW should push out the upgrade.  Of course, no reply from VZW regarding this.  They are leaving Continuum CUSTOMERS high and dry.  Perhaps when I renew all my phones, I will consider another carrier.  Really tired of getting strung along then ignored with this update.  I see I am not alone..

0 Likes
piccpete

Come on, folks... lets be honest.

We are totally wasting our breath and our time.  It matters not to whom we complains... There will NOT be an upgrade released for our Continuums.

Because of the ticker (which I love), it is twice the amount of programming.

They will not TELL us that we won't get it.  They (Samsung, AND Verizon) just  want us to spend mega bucks and get a new phone.  :smileymad:

0 Likes
JayPeriod
Well, I have news for Verizon and Samsung, the megabucks I'll spend is moving to another carrier and getting an iPhone. I'm seriously done with both of them.
0 Likes
JayPeriod
Samsung Galaxy S Support on Twitter is @GalaxySSupport. They answer questions via tweet. Might be interesting if their feed were to receive several tweets. Might let them know there are many of us who want answers.
0 Likes
JayPeriod
The Fascinate has officially updated to GB today. I almost chose the Fascinate when buying this phone. Guess I made the wrong choice. Well, time to root the phone. If I brick it, I'll send the broken pieces to Samsung and Verizon to show them what the phone is worth.
0 Likes
CDarnell

Oh yes, I have been down that road and it is messy and ultimately unsatisfying.

I called my local store and the girl who answered told me that they could apply the update in the store if I couldn't get it over the air.  Fine, great.

I go to the store, get handed off to someone who proceeds to play around with the phone (it doesn't freeze for *him* of course, just when I'm trying to do things like check my email or answer a call), and tells me that if I can't get the 2.2 update over the air there's nothing he can do.  I was told incorrectly over the phone.  He also tells me that I can't get an upgrade, I can't trade in my phone for a similarly priced model, and I'm essentially stuck.  Unless of course I want to pay full price.  I almost threw the phone in his face.  

I sent a message through the verizonwireless.com website, because honestly I've always had better service from them than in *any* local store *ever*.

I received a call from a customer service rep, she was very nice, very understanding and appalled at the treatment I'd received in the store.  She took the time to explain all of my options, and I couldn't really yell at her because she was at least trying to understand the situation.

Unfortunately, I'm still not allowed to trade in the current phones for a discounted phone, or get my upgrade early, or anything like that.  These are my options:

1. Since I'm still under manufacturer warranty, they'll let me get replacement Continuums (my husband has one as well) to see if that will fix the problem. (I highly doubt it).

2. I can purchase an unlocked phone off of ebay, craigslist, wherever and have it activated at a Verizon store.

3. I can purchase a phone from Verizon at an unsubsidized rate, or buy a refurbished phone they sell from the site.

4. I can go back to my Motorola Droid (the original) which *did* update to 2.2 although it has many other issues, and is still incompatible with many of the apps I want.

No information however on if the Continuum would *ever* update on its own.  

I have been a customer of Verizon's since 1999, this is the absolute worst phone I've ever gotten from them.  I'm still highly disappointed that I can't get some kind of discount or trade because this phone really is terrible on 2.1.  The best case scenario I can think of is go back to the Droids, do the Trade-in program through Verizon's site and use the pittance I'll get from them towards newer phones.  But *that* hassle seems not at all worth it.

So that was my attempt, has anyone else had *any* luck?

0 Likes