SMTP Support
Wolfsenshi

Hi, I was reading around and found out that the Verizon Wireless SMTP server has been shut down in August of last year. I just purchased a Droid yesterday for the sole purpose of being able to use my company's email anywhere using the 3G network. My company's email does not have its own SMTP server at the moment and this means that I have to tell my email to use my current internet connection's ISP SMTP server to send mail.

Since Verizon does not have an SMTP server anymore, I have to use my Droid's wi-fi and Comcast's SMTP server just to send mail. This completely defeats the purpose of me purchasing this phone since I cannot send email with my Droid if I am not at my house.

My questions is simply this: does Verizon have a new SMTP server that can be used for those of us who do not have our own SMTP server? AT&T offers SMTP servers and I'm highly considering returning the Droid and purchasing an iPhone for this simple reason.

I understand that lots of businesses have their own SMTP servers but there are still a lot that do not. SMTP servers are not that difficult to run and I imagine it wasn't costing Verizon a ton of money to provide a nice service to their paying customers.

Please let me know if there is a new Verizon Wireless SMTP server that I am not aware of. Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: SMTP Support
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

If you have a Droid, then you have a gmail account. Why not use their SMTP? It's free, and you already have it.

Server: smtp.gmail.com
Port: 465 or 25
Requires secure connection (SSL): Yes
Requires authentication: Yes
Username and password should be your Gmail username and password.
0 Likes