SMS Custom Notifications keep resetting on A50
catblacktaylor

I set custom notifications on my Verizon A50 for 5 people using the default samsung messager app and every morning when I power up they are all set back to the the default messaging sound. Any Ideas why this is happening?

The A50 has the option to set custom notifications. You have to be in the text message from the person and go to the upper right 3 dots and use the slider for custom notifications then pick the sound you want. Mine are staying there for about 6 hours then they go back to the default sound.

0 Likes
Re: SMS Custom Notifications keep resetting on A50
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are the notification tones you are selecting saved into the notification folder on the phone's internal memory space? 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
catblacktaylor

Yes they are on the phone not on the SD card in the proper folders. Like I said they work for a coiple of hours then go back to the default sound. Cleared cache and data in app removed and synced my contacts in Google only do not have any contacts in phone to make sure I did not have any duplicates. Shut off the auto optimaztion and automatic daily reboot. I also had issues with the camera app. I could not get into the settiings. When I when to settings it would pop up and dissapear within 2-3 seconds. I had to clear cache and data in the app then reboot phone to get it to work. I think there is a software bug / issue as I have read  many posts with the same issue.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

catblacktaylor-

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your notification sounds. I want to do everything I can to help. When did this issue begin? Has there been a recent software update or new app download by chance?

CarmenT_VZW

0 Likes
catblacktaylor

Brand new phone 1 week old, no new software added all factory stuff.  It happened since day 2. I also had a problem with the camera app when I went to setup the camera the setup menu popped up for about 3 seconds then went back to the camera screen. I cleared the cache and data for the app rebooted and now I can get into the camera settings. I tried the same process with the messager app with no luck. I also deleted all of the contacts on the phone and google and reinstalled them just to make sure there were no issues or duplicate contacts in different groups and still no luck. The custom notifcation works for a couple of hours then goes back to the default notification sound.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate the helpful information, catblacktaylor. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. I understand this feature is essential for you. To clarify, have you try to duplicate this issue in Safe Mode? http://spr.ly/6600E0lEs Keep me updated on your progress.

GersonG_VZW

0 Likes
catblacktaylor

I will try this I have done a factory reset twice and still no luck after I do a start up in safe mode I will report back

thanks

0 Likes
Ok I didRe: SMS Custom Notifications keep resetting on A50
catblacktaylor

Ok I started the phone in safe mode as you asked and the same problem happened. I did find sort of a work around to the problem. If I keep a text message from any of my contacts with 1 text in the conversation the custom notification does not reset but if I delete the conversation the sound resets again. There definitely is a software issue going on and I do not know if I can accept that.  If I can't get this resolved soon I am going to look into returning the phone.

0 Likes
Re: Ok I didRe: SMS Custom Notifications keep resetting on A50
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you been deleting the text message conversations all this time for those contacts? 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: Ok I didRe: SMS Custom Notifications keep resetting on A50
catblacktaylor

At first I deleted the conversation from person A, and when I received a text message from person A two hours later their custom notification sound went back to default text message sound. I did a reset twice started the phone in safe mode with no change. This happened for any text message I received from the over 10 people I set custom notification sounds for. The sounds are all on the device as the is no way to access the sounds off a SD card , so that elimanates any issue there. So I tried not deleting any text conversation and instead I star 1 text in the conversation and delete the rest, and when I do this the custom notification remains and does not go back to the default sound. I do not have to tell you how inconvenient this is as I now have over 20 conversations saved with 1 stared text message in them. At least it is a work around until someone can come up with a software fix.

0 Likes