S5 not recognizing charger
ashhintol
Enthusiast - Level 2

I haven't had any problems with my phone charging. Now, all of a sudden today it says it doesn't recognize the charger and shows a red x  in the battery. I turned it off to see if it would charge that way and nothing happened. The charger is the one that came with my phone. It will charger if I use the charger from my husband's S4. What could be wrong? Maybe need a new charger?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: S5 not recognizing charger
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That's pretty strange, ashhintol. If the phone is showing the charging symbol, the charge percentage should definitely move up. Since you are able to charge it fine with the S4 charger, that certainly indicates something with the charger itself causing the malfunction. While it's rare for something like this to happen, that's why there's a manufacturer's warranty for accessories and devices. I have sent you a private message. Please check your inbox here in the forums and reply with the information I'll need to help check into your warranty.

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Jay_M_
Contributor - Level 2

I have the LG G2 and have this same issue. But when my phone does this, no charger will work. Sometimes it will help to hold the phone a certain way. Not sure what the issue is.

0 Likes
tbo27
Master - Level 2

Yeah you may need a new one. Will your charger charge s4?

On g2 does the port look damaged at all?

0 Likes
ashhintol
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's a different kind of charger from the S4 to S5. The S4 is a regular USB and the S5 has an extra part so there's no way to tell if it will charge the S4.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to see everyone's device charging successfully. Our friend tbo27's suggestion to check the port was great. When you look into the charging port, do you see any debris, lint, signs of corrosion, bent pieces, etc? When you look at the charger itself as well, do you notice it's lose when connecting to your port or any lose wires?

JenniferH_VZW

0 Likes
ashhintol
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, there isn't anything wrong with the charging port or the charger. Today, my phone shouted the charging symbol with the original S5 charge but it wouldn't charge. I left it for about 20 min and the battery percentage was down. I wouldn't think the charger was already bad, I just got it in Oct.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That's pretty strange, ashhintol. If the phone is showing the charging symbol, the charge percentage should definitely move up. Since you are able to charge it fine with the S4 charger, that certainly indicates something with the charger itself causing the malfunction. While it's rare for something like this to happen, that's why there's a manufacturer's warranty for accessories and devices. I have sent you a private message. Please check your inbox here in the forums and reply with the information I'll need to help check into your warranty.

JenniferH_VZW

0 Likes