Receiving Group Messages
londramf

I have an LG Spectrum. When receiving group text messages, they sometimes come in as a group message, and sometimes as individual messages. When they come in as individual messages, I can only see the sender as a contact, and can only reply to him/her. How can I have them all come in as a group?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Receiving Group Messages
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

londramf,

We will get to the bottom of this for you. The reason you are only able to reply individually to that contact is because their device is sending out that way. As some contacts in the group message are not all Android users or iPhone users the responses sometimes come back as a individual message. If you reply to that contact via the group message then the whole group will get it, so be sure to reply on the group message and not the individual message. There shouldn' be a problem with them viewing them.

KarenC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
HRMitchell
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon Wireless Customer Support wrote:

londramf,

We will get to the bottom of this for you. The reason you are only able to reply individually to that contact is because their device is sending out that way. As some contacts in the group message are not all Android users or iPhone users the responses sometimes come back as a individual message. If you reply to that contact via the group message then the whole group will get it, so be sure to reply on the group message and not the individual message. There shouldn' be a problem with them viewing them.

KarenC_VZW

I wish you could get to the bottom of this one for me:

When I receive a group reply, all it displays is "media content in the message" and a link to get the content. Clicking the link will generally only return the exact same message. After several repeated clicks/taps, it will sometimes display the actual content.

However, if it is the initial message in the thread, it will display correctly the first time, but not on any replies.

I'm on a Windows phone (Nokia Lumia 822), others in the group are on Android and iPhone models.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is your cellular data connection turned on and active for you to properly retrieve the message?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We're here for you too, HRMitchell. Our friend Ann154 has an excellent suggestion to make sure Cellular Data is turned on. MMS messages (picture, video, group messages) need to send and receive over our cellular network instead of WiFi. If you're still having trouble, please go into Settings> About > More Info and share the Firmware revision number as well as the Radio software version in your Lumia 822.

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
HRMitchell
Enthusiast - Level 3

Who is HRMitchell?

If my data connection were not on, I wouldn't receive a notification of the message. However, WiFi, data and cellular are always on for my device. It's kind of pointless otherwise.

I have the latest firmware version issued by Verizon for the Nokia Lumia 822, and no other updates are available.

Firmware revision number: 3051.40000.1352.0042
Radio software version: 2.0.092073.3

This is a problem with the default MMS settings used by Verizon, per everything that I have found online, including in the Verizon Community forums.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for all the additional information. You reflect the screen name HRMitchell here in the forum, so that would be you! You are correct that you have the most recent update available. Are you able to see all the text and picture messages sent to your phone if they are not sent as a group message? If you turn your phone off/back on, will the received message display the content?

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
HRMitchell
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, the problem seems to only occur with group messages.
Please message me regarding changing the screen name; it is ridiculous that users cannot change that themselves.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

HRMitchell, we don't want this to be an ongoing issue. Let's make sure that this isn't a memory capacity issue. Try deleting all unwanted text messages and power your device off/on to soft reset it.

For your convenience, you can change your screen name by clicking on it. You will then need to click on Personal to update your profile name.

LasinaH_VZW

0 Likes
HRMitchell
Enthusiast - Level 3

I do not retain text messages to begin with, so there are none to delete.My phone reports it has 4.17 GB free. My phone is turned off on a daily basis.

I do not have any option to change my screen name following the instructions you provide, I do not know if this is because I do not actually see my screen name, but instead my real name, but clicking on it does not provide any opportunity to change the screen name, either. I have read repeatedly in the forums on this topic, and all of the responses indicate that only a forum manager can do this, which is a rather ... frustrating ... process.

0 Likes