Random Kyocera Shut Downs.
D_Zimmerman
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Kyocera Hydro.  Nice phone and very little that I find wrong with it except one thing.

I have had this phone randomly shut down on me 2 times now.  Once it was in the middle of the night when it was plugged in and charged fully.

The second time it was at my desk at work.  It was not plugged in with over 50% battery and sitting in my satchel.

In order to get the phone back up again I need to pull the battery from the back and re-seat it.

The only common factor that I have managed to pull from both of these incidents is that the WiFi was connected.  There is no time of day, no specific event that happened before, nothing.  It's running 4.1.2.

Anyone?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Random Kyocera Shut Downs.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

D.Zimmerman, we don't want that phone to power off on you. Let's see if we can figure out what is taking place. When did the trouble first appear? Around that time had you done anything different with phone?  Have you downloaded any new apps? Try placing the device in Safe Mode: http://vz.to/1hDjqo3 does the problem persist in Safe Mode?

BrianP_VZW
Follow Us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

D.Zimmerman, we don't want that phone to power off on you. Let's see if we can figure out what is taking place. When did the trouble first appear? Around that time had you done anything different with phone?  Have you downloaded any new apps? Try placing the device in Safe Mode: http://vz.to/1hDjqo3 does the problem persist in Safe Mode?

BrianP_VZW
Follow Us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
D_Zimmerman
Enthusiast - Level 2

The trouble first appeared about 2 weeks ago.  As mentioned in the first post...the only thing that I can see matching is that the wireless was connected.  In both cases I hadn't installed any apps in probably 72 hours and i was not actively doing anything with the phone. 

I can't put the phone in safe mode as I need the applications that I've started using on it.

The two times are almost 2 weeks apart and nothing seemed to trigger them.  I'll jsut monitor and see if there is anything else I can contribute for you.

Sorry.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

D.Zimmerman We're sorry that your Hydro is powering down and want to figure out how this can be fixed. We completely understand needing to use your installed apps. However, to test the phone in Safe Mode is to see if the phone pwer cycles only when apps are running or not. This would help us to determine the next best step.

Sheritah_vzw
Follow us on Twitter
@VZWSupport

0 Likes
D_Zimmerman
Enthusiast - Level 2

I understand the steps that need to be taken to determine what the issue is when it's something that hasn't been seen before...however, being that these incidents have happened weeks apart means that the usefulness of even having this phone becomes zero if it is in safe mode.

You can close this ticket as informational. I am not able to do the testing that goes into QA. I have started rebooting my phone nightly like I do my computer at work and I've not seen the issue come back yet.

I hope that this information (scant as it is) makes its way back to Kyocera so they can double check their work.

Thank you.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We truly appreciate you taking the time to provide this insight, D. Zimmerman. I'm glad to see that the power cycling has ceased such actions from occurring. If any additional questions or concerns arise in the future please let us know.

YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
D_Zimmerman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well....I spoke too soon. I did a restart before bed last night.  I woke up not to a shut down phone, but a frozen one.

The green charge light was on, even after I unplugged it, and had to remove the battery to reset it.  Oddly enough it knew that it was supposed to be on when I put the battery back in...as in I didn't need to power it on because it started booting back up automatically.

I haven't added or removed any apps since the last time.  I'm now also seeing that the freezing times are approximately 2 weeks apart. Again...the only connecting factor is that I had the wireless active when I went to bed.

I will examine if I can get by without a truly useful phone for 2 weeks....I'll let you know.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Darn! Thanks for keeping us posted, D.Zimmerman. We don't want to see you with a non-useful phone. Do you happen to have an application that's set to back up your device every couple weeks? Try restricting background data on a few applications. This will stop the device from transferring data when not directly in use, like when it's on the charger overnight. You can do this by going into Apps > Settings > Data usage (located in the "WIRELESS & NETWORKS" section) then selecting an application below the graph area.

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes