RAZR M will no longer transfer text messages to 2014.5 Camry
Rob1992
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the following:

Motorola RAZR M XT907

Android 4.4.2

The phone will pair with the Camry using bluetooth.  The audio works fine.  Making/Receiving phone calls work fine.  Before the most recent Kit Kat upgrade, transferring incoming texts occurred intermittently.  Since the Kit Kat upgrade, incoming texts don't transfer at all. My son's RAZR (Android 4.1.2) pairs with the Camry and transfers incoming texts just fine.  So I don't think it is the car.  Does anyone know why the RAZR M with 4.4.2 will not transfer texts messages?  Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: RAZR M will no longer transfer text messages to 2014.5 Camry
Rob1992
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was able to locate a lost of phones compatible with the Toyota Camry. The RAZR M was listed as one that may not work with messaging, so the fact that it worked at all was apparently a bonus. My contract was up, so I got a Samsung Galaxy S5, which was listed as compatible. It works just fine.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Rob1992. Sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with bluetooth connectivity. There are a couple of reasons why you may be experiencing this. The first may be that the Bluetooth stack built into KitKat is newer than the bluetooth stack that's available through your Camry's audio system. This can cause a few issues such as what you are experiencing. What I recommend is once you have established a bluetooth connection, access your bluetooth menu in your phone, and access the Settings cog wheel that is just to the right of your Paired Camry connection. Once there, you will see a series of profiles that manage the various methods of connectivity. I would disable them all, and work your way up, one by one to see if the text issue is resolved.

Keep us posted on your findings.

NicandroN_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Rob1992
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for responding, and sorry I did not get back with you until now.

I did what you said.  There are 3 profiles within the Toyota Camry bluetooth device with checkmarks next to each one.

(1) Phone Audio (subtitle Connected to phone audio)

(2) Media Audio (subtitle Connected to medio audio)

(3) Message Access (subtitle Connected to map)

I tried all combinations of checked and unchecked, while sending my phone text messages from another phone.  At no time did my phone ever transfer the messages to the Camry.  And when the bluetooth communication initialized with this update, I would be asked if I wanted to allow Toyota Camry access to messages.  I was not prompted for this before the system update.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Did you reuse the pairing you had, or did you un pair and re pair?

0 Likes
AuntTee

My Moto X upgraded to kitkat 4.4.4 on friday, August 1st and now I can't get any texts from camry se either. Was the issue ever solved? I was on the phone with Toyota for almost an hour and they said they recieved a similar call yesterday and it appears to be an issue with Google/Droid and the upgrade itself. Anyone know any work arounds?

0 Likes
Rob1992
Enthusiast - Level 2

I un-paired and re-paired a lot.

0 Likes
Rob1992
Enthusiast - Level 2

No.  As far as I know this issue has not been solved.  Sounds like Toyota, and probably other automobile manufacturers, will be getting more phone calls as time goes on.  And it appears that it is not even their fault. 

It sure seems that the software developers at Motorola who implement the Android OS updates screwed a lot of us with this update - and I am referring to the Bluetooth interface.  Since the update, I noticed that whenever I receive a text message while my phone is connected to my Camry via Bluetooth, the Bluetooth connection to the vehicle resets.  I can see it on the vehicle display.  In addition to this, I also use Bluetooth ear buds, and the audio drops out quite a bit.  I suppose it is possible that it may be resetting and re-pairing. 

I have searched on-line quite a bit, and found a website where someone posted that there will be no more Android OS updates for the RAZR M because that model is getting old.  Motorola must have just thrown this together and sent it out for updates without testing it.  With this level of support, I have to consider another manufacturer besides Motorola that supports Android (which I really liked a lot until the 4.4.2 update), or Apple.  And I probably would not have cared if I never had it, but updates are supposed to IMPROVE functionality - not remove it!

0 Likes
Rob1992
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was able to locate a lost of phones compatible with the Toyota Camry. The RAZR M was listed as one that may not work with messaging, so the fact that it worked at all was apparently a bonus. My contract was up, so I got a Samsung Galaxy S5, which was listed as compatible. It works just fine.

0 Likes
Rob1992
Enthusiast - Level 2

"a lost of phones" -> "a list of phones"

0 Likes