Question for Verizon
Imakayakgirl

I have been a Vrrizon customer and iphone user for many years. Recently I traded my iphone for an Android. Imagine my surprise when for the first time ever I recieved a data limit alert (thankfully I had the foresight to set that alert up). My question is why is my data use suddenly so high??????? I am a single person using the same data plan as always.

Another unwelcome surprise is that i can no longer send pictures via text using my own personal wifi network and now MUST use my data plan to send and recieve pictures. Dear Verizon, might this reason my data use has sky rocketed? Hmmm, interesting that the Verizon salesman didnt include that bit of info while he was selling (pushing) me on Android. I await your response......

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Question for Verizon
Snn5
Legend

OK, yes...unlimited texting/pic/vid messaging does NOT count towards data.  Your phone was set up in a Verizon store?  I guarantee you (this is your first month right?) they didn't use wifi there and used the network to set up your phone, meaning all manner of things could have updated and downloaded, especially if you had the rep add any Google account or other app or such to the phone at that time.

As far as knowing what used the data, you can tap your settings gear icon from the pull down notification bar at the top of the screen.  Go to Mobile Data and then a list of apps should show telling you what used how much data.  You can configure that meter to show a date range and also to show wifi usage with the mobile data usage.  Look back to the date you were at the store and see what the data amount looks like.  You can slide the 2 arrows left and right to match the date range and the side dots arrows to adjust your usage and set a limit.

2015-05-26-17-28-44.png

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Typically, iPhones tend to use more data than Android, by accidental reasons like wifi turning off when the phone is inactive, while Androids will keep the connection to WiFi alive, depending on settings.  During phone setup you might have been on data rather than WiFi as well and racked up some data consumption.  On plans with unlimited messaging, texts and pictures do not count towards data allowance, so that isn't the problem.  Verizon messages can send sms/mms via wifi, but is not require given unlimited messaging, if applicable.

0 Likes
Imakayakgirl

My phone was set up in the Verizon store by a Verizon rep who assured me that the transition of my new phone was on their network and therefore wouldn't impact my data plan.  So I wonder how I can I determine what is responsible for the spike in my plan as it has resulted in me not having access to my mobile data over the last two weeks so I would avoid overrage charges.

To confirm what you said..... Verizon DOESNT deduct from my mobile plan when I use it to send pictures or video? I have the unlimited talk and text with a 2 GB data package.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

OK, yes...unlimited texting/pic/vid messaging does NOT count towards data.  Your phone was set up in a Verizon store?  I guarantee you (this is your first month right?) they didn't use wifi there and used the network to set up your phone, meaning all manner of things could have updated and downloaded, especially if you had the rep add any Google account or other app or such to the phone at that time.

As far as knowing what used the data, you can tap your settings gear icon from the pull down notification bar at the top of the screen.  Go to Mobile Data and then a list of apps should show telling you what used how much data.  You can configure that meter to show a date range and also to show wifi usage with the mobile data usage.  Look back to the date you were at the store and see what the data amount looks like.  You can slide the 2 arrows left and right to match the date range and the side dots arrows to adjust your usage and set a limit.

2015-05-26-17-28-44.png

0 Likes