Question about Android Phones
bunluv96

Hello everyone. Right now I'm with At&t, but don't like that company and luckily in just a couple weeks my contract with them will be up. So I'm shopping around and considering what the heck to do for my next phone. I guess this is a two part question....1) What would anyone recommend for a phone? I'm kinda thinking about a Blackberry, but like the Android apps and like 3/4G speeds. I want internet this time on a phone, text, music player would be nice,email, messaging, etc. etc. What I don't want is a Touch screen. I HATE touch screens. I've had a Quickfire for 2 years now and it's crap! The screen never works, you touch it and it either doesn't respond or responds incorrectly and access the wrong thing. Mostly it doesn't work and makes it impossible to do things when it's reliant on touch screen, in other words, that's the only way to do something is through a touch screen that doesn't work. So although they look neat, the two years of bad experiences I've had with them has me running for the hills when it comes to that. So 2) Can I get a neat phone, especially an Android phone, with the features I want Without having to buy a touch screen phone? Thanks so much for the help! :smileyhappy:

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Question about Android Phones
Joe_Evaristo
Contributor - Level 1

If you really want a smart phone, you won't be able to get one without touchscreen. Many apps are written to take advantage of this technology.

Sounds like you've had bad luck with devices, but touch tech isn't bad at all...if you get the right phone. If you can get to a Verizon store, try playing with the Droid 2 and the Droid X...and possibly the Samsung Fascinate--though whatever anyone tells you, AVOID HTC products unless you enjoy hardware failures and companies who ignore software bugs. Of these phones, only the Droid 2 will offer you much in the way of minimizing touch screen use--it has a full keyboard, which can also be used to activate shortcuts to launch certain apps. The keyboard is why I chose the D2 over the DX, and I've ended up rarely using it!

Also keep in mind that while typing on a touch screen has been awkward in the past, the Motorola Droid 2 and Droid X both come with software that enhance the typing experience: SWYPE. You have to switch to SWYPE input from the default virtual keyboard, and it takes a little while to get used to...but it makes typing on a touch screen a whole lot more accurate. I like describing it to my friends as T9 for a virtual QWERTY keyboard. Here's a video tutorial on SWYPE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnQts9NUnL4 It's pretty intuitive, and makes touch QWERTY usable.

0 Likes
Re: Question about Android Phones
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3
To answer your question, no, there are no android phones that don't have a touchscreen. Though I have to say, there have been huge advances in touchscreen tech and they are very reliable. Should the screen go out on you, though, you can always bring it in for a replacement.
0 Likes