Preorder and Expired Debit Card
dmanindfw

So I pre-ordered 2 Samsung Galaxy S3's for my wife and I on 6/10 in our local Verizon Corporate store.  I placed this on my debit card thinking that this would be billed immediately.  He ran my card and I signed the agreement for $43x.xx.  The CSR didn't not tell me anything that would leave me to believe that the card wasn't charged then and there.

I just found out the other day (on an Android forum) that the card wouldn't be billed until the phones were ready to be shipped.  Herein lies my problem.  I placed my preorder on a debit card that expired in June.  My 2 phones have yet to ship but when Verizon goes to process, the card will be declined as it's expired now.  I'm worried that not only will I not get the phones on my preorder but that the entire order will be cancelled and I'll have to reorder.  In addition to the delay of reordering, I will also likely lose unlimited data on BOTH phones as they will likely require me to sign a new agreement and under the new Share Everything plan.

I've tried contacting Customer Care twice now, but the CSR's along with their Managers claim that they cannot update my card/payment information...they even contacted Sales directly for me but was told they also cannot update payment info on a preorder.  I've also attempted to go into a Corporate store, all with the same result....that they cannot update.  Lastly, I've tried updating my card information online on the preorder status page, but I continuously get an error message stating: "Due to high volumes, we are unable to update your payment details at this time. Please try again later."  I've attempted to do this probably 20 times now, no joke, but I never get anything besides the error message.

The CSR's have tried to reassure me that Verizon will let me know that they couldn't process the card and will allow me to use a different form of payment, but they haven't seemed very confident in what they were saying.

What can I do in my situation?  I really just want to get these phones AND keep my plan the same with unlimited data and feel like I've done all in my power to try and fix this problem.  Someone please help me!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Preorder and Expired Debit Card
wkavan02
Contributor - Level 1

Talk to your bank/debit card company and see if there is anything that they can do for you. Also, see if Verizon would be willing to take a cash payment through a Verizon store.

Did the managers or sales staff comment on whether or not you would be contacted for different payment method in the effect of a declined transaction at ship date? I would get their input if you haven't, or ask somebody to contact Verizon's accounting department, or whichever department handles such transactions.

0 Likes
dmanindfw

The CSRs I spoke with THOUGHT that I would be contacted for a different form of payment if my card didn't go through, but they did not seem very confident in their answer either. 

It seems as though nobody can access the payment system to make any changes which is difficult for me to believe.  There really has to be someway to rectify this, without cancelling my order, right?  Can anyone lead me to a department that does actually have the ability to update card information?

0 Likes
dmanindfw

I'm a little (more) concerned as I read a post on another forum where someone had a similar problem but the bank's fraud department didn't allow payment to be processed due to the amount.  They are being told that the order will be cancelled and they will reorder.  If this is my only option with Verizon, I will likely switch providers even after 6 loyal years (my wife 10+ years).

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

so let me get this straight... You made the mistake and Verizon is supposed to cover you?  No carrier will do what you ask...

For future reference to you.  If you ever preorder something and your card is about to expire...  Banks always send you a new card 2 weeks to 1 month in advance.  Another thing you could have just added 3 or 4 years(depends on bank) to you card if you haven't gotten a new one.

0 Likes
dmanindfw

Wow, really???  When I purchase something with my credit/debit card, and I physically scan the card and go through the purchasing process and they provide me with a receipt saying the following (copied directly from my "Verizon Wireless - Your Order Confirmation"), I assume I just made the purchase AND also assume that they billed me immediately:

Order Subtotal Today   $429.98

Sales Tax   $35.47

Shipping   $0.00

ORDER TOTAL TODAY  $465.45

NO WHERE on this receipt does it say that charges won't actually go through when the phones are shipped.  To me it looks like the purchase was made right then and there.  Why would I question otherwise?  Frankly I doubt that you or 95% of the populace would think something other than that.  Neither the receipt nor any Verizon employee informed me otherwise.

Additionally, once I found out that there could be a problem, I've done everything possible to change my payment option BEFORE Verizon tries to process.  I've contacted a store employee, 2 Customer Care reps, been online on the payment updating system over 20 times now (that just keeps telling me that "Due to high volumes, we are unable to update your payment details at this time. Please try again later.").  I AM TRYING EVERYTHING I CAN THINK OF to make this right not only for myself but also for Verizon.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Sorry fritz is right. It's been that way for years. All pre orders never get charged until shipped. Was no different when you order from Sprint, Amazon, AT&T, and what not company. I just ordered 5 Nexus 7's and Google still has not billed me. When I ordered both my Galaxy Nexus devices Verizon(CDMA version) nor Negri Electronics(GSM overseas) charged me until they shipped. When my daughter got the 3GS from Apple I wasn't charged until shipped. Even when things are on back order they wait to charge when they have the stock and ready to ship.

Some companies however may place a hold on monies without actually taking it out(which comes as a higher fee for them) then it wouldn't matter if the card has expired as long as it was posted before it expired.

0 Likes
megasweet29

Hey I work for a bank in the processing area and you will be just fine.  When they take your card they make the pre-authorization payment for $1.00 to get an approval code.  Then when they ship the phone they will use that same approval code to pull it from your account, card being expired, closed, or what not.  They will get your money one way or another off that card.  I have seen it when a card is closed and merchants always will still pull recurring debits or other check card transactions because they use the same pre-approval codes.  They always get their money one way or another.

0 Likes