Poor Service; Told by manager if you don't want to wait just hack your ERIS
snccoulter

So I am sure you hear about the service being poor but I was amazed that I was told today when I went into the verizon store and they told me that if i did not want to wait to just go ahead and hack the phone and install the hacked version.  So I then state if i did that it would  void my warranty and the manager states well ya it will if it kills your ERIS.  So  in January Verizon Lied to me because they convinced to to buy the ERIS  instead of the Motorola  because the ERIS would be updated by the end of the first quarter and today is the beginning of the second quarter. I have been trying to get some sort of resolution but I cannot get a manager to call me back.  My belief is that Verizon should honer their promise and ensure that the product is out or be ready to resolve their costumers complaints when they are not able to hold to their promises.  And not have a I don't give a #### attitude.  I was told the Eris would have the 2.0 Update and i would be able to use the Goggle maps with the turn by turn system but it has not happened, and that is where my frustration lies...

Steve

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Poor Service; Told by manager if you don't want to wait just hack your ERIS
Dominique

Yeah, that's some crappy customer service, no doubt.

And I agree with your complaint too, so don't get me wrong.  But I'm thinking the update isn't stable enough to be released, or it's still just too buggy.  And if that's the case, I'd rather them go ahead and finish working out the bugs, then send it out.  Even still, it would nice to hear SOMETHING, ANYTHING from Verizon about us getting an OTA.

0 Likes
Not applicable

What do you expect a manager to do for you?  If the software upgrade is not yet ready, it's not ready.  There is nothing a manager can do about it.

0 Likes
JRBRONX88

Well Steve he/she was being sarcastic. the truth is YOUR not the only one coming in asking about when is the Eris/Droid etc etc update is coming out and over a period of time it drags when people can't wait for an update, was he right coming off the way he did? no but at the same time what are you gaining by asking him/her about it?  it's not like they are going to pull the update from the stockroom in the back and give it to you. i hate to sound rude because i understand it's a product you paid good money for capable of doing many things and should work as advertised, i myself own a Droid and 3G dropping to 1X is quite annoying along with calls not sounding so good sometimes, trust me i have my issues as well so i feel you on that situation. the big picture is even if they do know they won't tell you because with a date or not your still going to be unhappy if they don't come thru so it's better to not have a date and take 3 or 4 months than to say it'll come out next week and they fall short and make you wait another 3 or 4 months. 

0 Likes
DanAndroid

Since Verizon says nothing.... The assumption I would have is that verizon doesn't have enough staff to support two seperate major updates simultaneously.  I find it less credible to assume that verizon is working fervelently to solve major/minor bugs while another major update is in progress.  I'm expecting that the eris update will roll out within 4-10 days based on what I've seen with the droid.

0 Likes
snccoulter

And I understand that they are trying to work out the issues but the fact of the matter is i was told not to get the Motorola because the eris would have everything i wanted by the end of the first QTR and it does not so they should make it right either take my phones back and give me the Motorola or refund my money for the phones I would be happy with getting my cash back and being able to then to upgrade to the phone that has the capability's that i originally wanted in the first place.   

verizon should never have put a time period on the update  if they did not want to be held to that standard...

0 Likes
jsh1120

Steve,

I understand your frustration, but I have to say that taking the word of a store manager regarding future software upgrades is like talking to a Chevy salesman about the future of General Motors. As someone who has been in the software business for many years, I have to tell you that expected dates expressed in "quarters" are about as reliable as those expressed in "seasons," (e.g. sometime in the spring.) And just like blizzards in the spring, stuff happens with software releases.

In the future, follow this simple rule. Never, ever, purchase a product based on promises of what "will be available" in the future. Verizon is not obligated to provide you with any software upgrades, whatsoever. When you purchase a phone, you're purchasing the phone as it exists that day. Period. All else is simply conversation.

0 Likes
AFguy
Contributor - Level 2

Thank you Jsh1120.  Seriously I think VZW should take your post and put it on their main website and on every door of their stores.  Im so tired of hearing people ranting about how verizon "owes" them this update.  You hit the nail on the head with your post.  Thanks man! :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
hornetjockey

When I go to an actual Verizon Wireless store, not a reseller, and the store manager tells me there will be an update for this phone, I expect it. It isn't because I believe that this cellphone salesman is a reliable source, it is because he is a representative of Verizon Wireless, and as such I am going to hold VZW accountable on his word.

Now take into account that VZW sales reps all across the country are spouting the same line. You now have hundreds of representatives of Verizon Wireless ensuring current and prospective customers that there will be an update for this phone.

You also need to consider the fact that this software was going to come in December, then January, then 1st quarter 2010, then April, and the fact that the current leaked build of 2.1 for Eris either is or is based on HTC's own build that they submitted to VZW five months ago, that people aren't having any problems with it, so why isn't it approved already?

Consumers need to demand satisfaction, especially from cellphone carriers. Even though you no longer have to get your land-line phone from the telephone company, and you don't have to buy your computer from your ISP, somehow we still have to buy our cellphones from our wireless carrier. Therefore, we are at their mercy to provide us with the features we want. When they do not, we need to make a stink about it. If we don't, things will never change.

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

It's funny to me that you think "making a stink" will change anything.  It isn't that no one cares you don't have it.  It is that stuff happens and you just have to wait.  This will all start over again in about 6 weeks when 2.2 is released and everyone is freaking out that they can't get it and whatever cool features it has.  Again it will take time and everyone will be panicked cause they are just getting 2.1.  Those people who have the leaked ROM and "haven't had any problems" have no idea whether there are security issues, network issues,  or any other basically unpercievable issues.  Also if you will recall one of the main hold ups for the Droid getting the OTA was the company that was pushing it out.  They had an issue where the system didn't back up information properly.  Can you imagine what would happen if that happened to everyone because they had to get it out "on time".  Another hold up was the issues with 3G on the N1.  Sounds ridiculous that it would hold everyone else up doesn't it.  Well as it turns out there were a few issues one of which was a software issue so everyone got bumped so that we could all get the updated complete version that allows us to use 3G networks. An update can also be held up if something changed about it causes an undue strain on the networks systems.  It is phesable that an update could cause the phone to use more internet resources or a larger chunk of the voice system and if that happens it has to be adjusted.  Because they have a responsibility to all of their customers not just the ones with your phone.  Also HTC has been cranking out new devices like crazy.  They don't have separate teams working on updates they are using the software guys to work on updates and new phone os'es and problem solving.  Then the update has to be scheduled.  They can't just run it out as soon as they get it.  The 3rd party company that actually rolls it out will do so based on a schedule according to system strain issues and business needs.  Fear not you will get your update when it is ready and it is your turn in the schedule to get it.  This will likely be the last update the Eris gets though.  It is about to meet it's EOL. 

The truth of the matter is Verizon couldn't be held liable if they never updated their phones at all.  They aren't bound to do it. 

0 Likes