Phantom dialing to an unprogrammed number
alwann
Enthusiast - Level 2

How could this be possible?  I've had frequent call-backs from a party saying I called his number.  This has happened sporadically for almost a year.  His number is not programmed into my Droid.  Strangely, the number this person is calling from is a land line number I had 12 years ago.  At that time, this number may have been programmed into a cell phone I previously owned.  It may have been programmed into a cell phone assigned to me from a company where I worked 12 years ago.  I wonder if this is a network issue.  Those cell phones I previously used are surely in a trash heap some place.  The guy has now contacted the carrier's (Verizon) fraud division.  It ain't me doing it, sir.  So, what could be happening?

Any thoughts among you experts in the community?

Labels (1)
Re: Phantom dialing to an unprogrammed number
Not applicable

Lets look at this logically for a moment. This person is claiming you are calling him/her. So it would not be a phone number you are not using. Your cell number is not the same? Or is it?

A couple of times when I am using voice dialing I get some crazy phone dialed out. Most times it is in my contact list, sometimes it thinks I asked for a number and dials out. I have found this to be the case most of the times. Simple phone mess up.

I have also known my device while in my pocket to occasionally dial out my last called number. But I now hold the device in a holster and that problem has ceased.

Good Luck

alwann
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your post.  To clarify: my cell phone number has not changed in 12 years.  I've had 3 or 4 different cell phones during that period of time.  The land line number in this dispute was not programmed into any of them.  Nor is it currently.  And, in those 12 years since I gave up that land line number, I have never, ever dialed it manually or verbally.

(Maybe it's NSA!)

0 Likes
Not applicable

Who knows you could be correct.

For a weird twist maybe the person who got the old land line knows the person and is calling. I know its a long shot.

Good Luck

B33
Legend

Elector  And the  OP of the Thread..

I've also had the issue that happened to you elector happen to me when using my B-Tooth it's not fun when you get a Grouchy person on the other line and sometimes that's my mom Ha but laughter short I can see were it would bother the OP it may be there needs to be something looked at and maybe the OP should check and see if the number is in a Google account since Google can store your numbers for ya)  One other thing I would suggest Clear out the Calls going out and Coming in Look for your Dialer or the little phone mine on my phone is green tap it > then find recent from there tap on the settings to Find Clear list tap to clear the list of the people you call I do that on my Razr's every week..

Good Luck b33

0 Likes
alwann
Enthusiast - Level 2

Elector:

The person who is bugging me IS the person who got my old land line number.  Whatever.  I've since spoken to the fraud people at Verizon.  Maybe they can figure it out.

Not applicable

My apology. I must be reading the post incorrectly.

Now just a thought. When you CELL is calling your old LAND LINE, the new owner calls you and states you are calling them from your CELL. In certain devices there is an emergency number programed into your phone. It would not state your name but it is located in your device. I wish I could remember the way to access it. I went from Android devices to Apple iPhone's.

Found it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_case_of_emergency

This may be on your device is some location. I would do a search on your contacts first for your old land line number and see if it pulls it up. Then delete it. If in the phone as above link, you can change it.

Sorry for my confusion.

Good Luck

B33
Legend

I understand your frustration on this issue)   because we've had on-going issue on one of our cell Lines the time has spanned  since 2010 but it has lessen as time has went by but I still get a call every once in a While..

What took place to cause all of this was this person had our cell number she live in the Boston area and she was using  equipment from Comcast and other places when she decided to no longer pay for this equipment she did not return it and they was out to find her in any which way that they could..  One of the ways was to call the Number that Verizon gave us when she changed it so instead of Calling her these companies were calling me.. I had prof that I was not her and the call's stopped from Comcast but then they came from the Collection agencies and then we had one call was from the Boston Police Dept. but as I said most of the calls have died down since I showed prof I was not this person but I still get the occasional call from the collection agencies.. If they continue I will change the Number but I like the number that is why I have kept it..

Hang in there it will get better..  That is what I've done Smiley Happy b

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That is really strange, alwann. I can see why you are looking for answers to this mystery. We would be interested to know what the results are of the fraud investigation.  What type of device are you using? Please keep us posted.

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport 

0 Likes
Montel2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Have you considered blocking your old number? If you log on to Verizon My Account, there is an option to block up to six numbers incoming / outgoing for 90 days.

0 Likes